Thursday, December 16, 2010

Close Call

You know how sometimes you don't even realize how close you came to disaster, because the disaster actually had not happened? Well, consider this. Yesterday was the last day of school for me. I had three finals starting at 8 AM. The weather has been horrible, so basically, my intention was to be prepared for anything. I set my alarm for 5:30. I went to bed, and I slept surprisingly soundly. I woke up at 5:10 and immediately thought of the weather. I leapt from the bed to check the driveway and discovered that we'd gotten more snow, so I decided to simply get up and get going, and allow myself some extra drive time. I needed it too. The roads were bad on the way to school and they were bad coming home. (I stopped to check on a young man who had flipped his Jeep.)

I had my lovely relaxed afternoon, and I went to bed a little bit early. I was tired out. A lot of excitement this week. I sat down on the side of the bed and reached for my alarm clock. That's when I realized just how close I'd come to disaster. My alarm was set for 5:30 PM. If I had not waked up early, I would have overslept. The alarm would not have woke me up.

I'm very grateful for those small miracles of my life.

4 comments:

nancyspoint said...

Debby, Isn't it funny how you mangaged to wake up on time anyway? Good thing we have those internal alarm clocks which can be more reliable that the ones on our night stands. I think there is a lesson in there some place. Enjoy your vacation from school.

steviewren said...

So many little miracles we miss everyday...glad you didn't miss this one.

Kelly said...

So glad you woke when you did!! Whew!!

Pencil Writer said...

Boy, can I relate to the alarm clock and the wrong half of the day setting! Clocks are difficult enough for me. Ever since I was little I was/am either thinking it's an hour earlier or later that it really is. That's why I protest so loudly when our time changes to/from Daylight Savings.

If it weren't for my internal alarm clock, my goose would have been fried more than once!

Glad you made it on time! Somebody is apparently watching over you!