Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Another Dog Story

I walked back into work today, and Jeremy grinned. "How's your head?" he asked. "Well," I said, to jerk his chain some, "I didn't know whether I was coming in today or not." He got a surprised look. I continued: "Yeah, it doesn't seem right that you show up for work after you've gotten canned."

Anyways, remember that couple I told you about? Their dog died? Well, they were in tonight, and much to my surprise, they had a new white shepherd type dog, a puppy, timid, five months old, a spitting image of their old dog. They just happened to contact a friend up in Potsdam. He had some dogs he was raising for sled dogs, but he had this one that was not going to work out. She was too shy, of people, of other dogs. He didn't want her. The couple took her immediately, and it was a five hour trip to get her. They brought her in the store, just like their old dog, and she clung close to her new owners watching us warily. I gave her a cookie. She smelled it, interested, but too afraid to take it from my hand. I gave it to her owner.

Everyone stood jawjacking as the dog waited patiently. Gary said, "She'll get used to the store in a hurry. You're in here all the time." The man says, "She's had a lot to get used to. She never was inside a house before. She sure does love sleeping in the bed!" We laughed. I said, "Well, it will help socialize her, being in a store, around people. It'll be good for her," and the woman agreed.

They took their time in the store, but finally, they came up to the counter. They had dog food, and a new purple collar, and a new leash. Kyra was still timid, but curiously she nosed the credit card machine, and when a woman came in line behind them, the dog walked up to her and quietly studied the woman with intelligent eyes. When the woman spoke to her kindly, she nosed her hand. Her owners looked on, amazed at the changes happening already.

I watched this small drama playing out. The man said to the woman behind them, "I think that you're the first person she's ever voluntarily greeted," and he told the story, about the dog that died, about the dog that has come into their lives. "I did not think we wanted a new dog, but you know, it just wasn't comfortable not having a dog." These people will love this new dog with all their hearts, and this new dog will become as irreplaceable as the dog they had. You can see it happening already. Broken hearts will mend. A timid dog will learn to trust. Two owners are learning a new animal. One animal is learning a new life. A working dog becomes a beloved pet. It's magic really, and looking on, it made me smile.

We don't have television any more, but we did when Cara was home, before the big switch to digital. One of Cara's favorite shows was 'Grey's Anatomy'. She has several seasons of it on DVD and her brother got her another season for Christmas. She's having a marathon session of Grey's while doing a jigsaw puzzle, and hearing the theme song takes me back to when she was in high school, and I was a mother. It makes me sad a little, and glad for what she has become, too. It's a strange thing, a reminder of what was, and what is. Let me finish this post and share another evening with my grown up child.

Oh, hey, you all need to follow Bush Babe's blog. They are having some serious flooding in Australia. Jeanie's dealing with it too. Queensland is getting nailed.

11 comments:

Jayne said...

Awwwww, that is perfect, the circle of life complete again :)

Mikey said...

Awww, happy ending!!! Love it!!

Scotty said...

Serious flooding indeed - a few hours north of BB in my home town, they're flooded too - no deaths but plenty of inconvenience that's for sure.

Hal Johnson said...

"Yeah, it doesn't seem right that you show up for work after you've gotten canned."

Har! Debby, I'm SO proud of you.

Kelly said...

How nice to hear a "good" dog story from you for a change! (just kidding you, but it was getting depressing)

jeanie said...

I love this dog story - because it isn't a "replacement" dog, but a whole new dog chapter in their lives.

BUSH BABE said...

Hey - thanks for the shout out love... we are doing okay and seeing sunshine for the first time this week. Hot and steamy actually... great dog story. My pooch is panting and complaining about the midges (little insects) beside me as I write this!
:-)
BB

BUSH BABE said...

PS I adore Greys Anatomy too!

quid said...

Scary, what was happening in Australia. The earth roars.

I loved the tale of the new dog and am sure we'll hear more about her development as she comes in the store. Wonderful story!

quid

nancyspoint said...

Debby, I loved this dog story, which is really so much more than just a dog story!! Thank you. I am so thankful for the pets in my life. Also, I understand how it feels so different, observing your kids as adults, no longer children. Feels kinda nice too, though, don't you think?

PaintedPromise said...

your "magic" dog story has me bawling like a baby...