Monday, November 1, 2010

Weekend

It was a quiet weekend. A nice one. Saturday was a pleasant day at work. Busy. People were great fun. One of the ladies from my (cringe) presentations told me that she thought it was honest and real, and it made her think about herself. She said, "You sounded like me, really. I think that I'm very healthy. I tend to delay taking care of myself." I guess people do take away what they're meant to take away. I suppose that she'll be more careful, healthwise, now that she's met someone who was totally shocked by cancer. She lives not far from me, and is in the store regularly, so I am hopeful of a new friend.

I lost a friend. Yesterday, sitting in church, I heard that we were suppose to pray for one of our families. Right away, I thought that the matriarch had passed on. Turned out that it was her daughter. Three years younger than me. I attended high school with her for a time.

All in all, it was a quiet weekend, a time for thinking. We drove to pick up the new parts for Tim's car, and we talked quietly and contentedly. Tim's hand sought out mine on a regular basis. We came home by route of Cara's college, to drop off her passport and some other school mail. We went out for supper. One the way home, Tim said, "Well, that was fun." And he did seem as if he had enjoyed himself. I know that I did.

While we were eating, I told Cara about the dog biscuit. She looked at me in mock horror. Turns out she had just watched Pet Sematary for the first time and scared the pucky doo out of herself. She said, "So, Tim? We didn't bury Buck in the middle of an Indian cemetery, did we?" And we all laughed. She told us her own story. She'd found a kitten the a couple days prior. She rescued it, against its will, apparently. It hissed and spat and arched its little back. Her friend chastised her for picking it up, but when Cara handed it to her to hold as she tried to call me on the cell phone, her friend stopped her grumbling to comment. "Gosh, he's so soft." and then "Oh, he's shivering..." and "I'll bet he's hungry..." and then "Awwwww! He's purring." About that time, he suddenly sprang free and escaped. And so I was saved, because if I had received the call, I would certainly have said "Oh, the poor thing, bring him home," which Tim would have been very unhappy about. He does not like animals in the house.

I came home and sent everyone a Halloween card, and then I went to bed early to read as Tim listened to the Steelers game downstairs. The Pittsburgh Steelers were playing against the New Orleans Saints. That morning in church, our pastor had called out, "Go Steelers." A disembodied voice from the balcony said, "I never thought that I'd see the day when a preacher would root against the Saints." So Tim listened to the Steelers lose. For the first time, I used a vibrating heating pad and it really eased the aches out of my back. I fell asleep after only a chapter or two of Dave Barry.

8 comments:

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

This sentence grabbed me "Tim's hand sought out mine on a regular basis." When Bob reaches out and takes my hand, it still sends a flutter to my heart. I hope it does the same for you when Tim's hand takes your hand. :-)

Debby said...

Yes, Linda, it does. I know that I am very lucky.

Rising Rainbow said...

it's funny the odd little things that catch our attention each day, isn't it.

Kelly said...

That was a movie I remember I didn't care for.

I'm glad you had a pleasant weekend.

Jayne said...

I read the book but avoided the movie.
I lurve those vibrating heat pads for back aches, got one slung on the back of my computer chair - they are the best :)

Brianna said...

Well, at least she didn't read the book... love the book, but the movie flat ticked me off! I remember reading that book for the first time in high school, think I was about 17 or 18. Couldn't sleep for a week without nightmares, lol! Glad you had a good weekend, sounds like it was nice and relaxing! :)

Bob Barbanes said...

Usually only takes one chapter of Dave Barry to put me to sleep ;)

PaintedPromise said...

oh. my. gosh. Pet Cemetery is the LAST Stephen King book i read. It shook me to my core... the dream scene just slayed me... i have avoided the movie like the plague!