Tuesday, November 23, 2010

This and That and Happy Thanksgiving!

Last night, I went to bed late, because I stayed up to study for that test after I got home from freight night at the store. I was wicked tired, but I stayed up to refresh the information in my mind. I went to bed late, and then I was awakened early by the unusual thunder and lightning storm. I went in to class early, to give myself a little more time to 'brush up' on the information. "Grades aren't everything," the teacher had said, and I've been trying to take her words seriously. This morning, I was not nervous. I was just tired. That's all. She handed out the test, and I began to carefully mark my answers in. I did not look ahead, nervously trying to gauge the difficulty of the test. I just took it. One question at a time. I did well. Not spectacularly, I suppose. I'm not sure that it was an A, but I did well. When it was done, I did not go over it and over it. I took a cursory glance but then I handed it in, and I left the class room. Grades aren't everything. I went by myself to the cafeteria and celebrated with an 'everything' bagel and a tea, and sat by myself people watching and enjoying just sitting.

We had a brief class after the test, from 10:30 until 12:00, and then I went into the computer lab to work on a paper.

I met Procrastination Girl. She needed my assistance. I was encouraging, but I did not fall into the trap of being over helpful. She looked at me helplessly, and I said to myself, "She is a peer, not my child. She is a peer, not a client," and I told her that she was on the right track. Then I sat down and began putting a paper together on the tensions in Korea. Cara is my child, not my peer, so I am allowed to wish that she wasn't going to Daegu for the spring semester.

I was dragging, but I wrote my paper, and then I messed around on line. I thought of Kelly, who's lately described herself as feeling blue. I sent her a 'Booyah!' text, and she hied herself to her computer and we had a nice chat as I waited for that class to start. I had so much to do at home. Dylan and Cara will be home tomorrow. I needed to clean. I needed to start cooking for Thanksgiving. But being responsible, I had that last class.

Long and the short of it? We filed into class, and our professor walked by looking confused. Last week, she'd given us this class off, some free time to work on our papers. Problem was none of us remembered her saying it. We all looked at each other in amazement, handed in our papers and filed out of the classroom. I could have left at noon had I only known!

I got home an hour early. I got a lot of housework done, and it felt good. I spoke to a friend on the phone who's just discovered that he has cancer, making plans to meet. Tim and I went shopping tonight and got groceries. I have tomorrow to make pies, to bake bread, and to putz around the house. I am so looking forward to this. Tomorrow night, the kids come in. It's going to be small, just four of us, but it will be fun.

Funny story? I heard on the radio today that the smell of pumpkin pie is a powerful aphrodisiac for men. That surely puts a different spin on the story of the young man and the pumpkin pie candles, doesn't it?

Another funny story? Remember Merrill the chicken? I saw his "mother" the other day, and we greeted each other. She looked tired too. Turns out that Merrill has learned to crow, and does so very early in the morning. She smiled ruefully. I imagine that Merrill is on his way to becoming an outdoor chicken like most other chickens. However this story goes, I hope that he gets to take his stuffed chicken with him, and that he has a night light at night. Mostly, I hope that he gets to listen to books on tape once in a while, sitting on his stuffed chicken, making little 'chuck-chuck' noises as he turns his head this way and that, listening to the story unfold.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you here in the US. The rest of you? What the heck. Give thanks anyway.

13 comments:

WhiteStone said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Tomorrow it's work-work-work! In anticipation! Yayyy!

Kelly said...

Nothing like chatting with you to cheer a girl up! Thanks, Debby!

I got that goose out of the freezer and started thawing it when what do I find? SOMEone decided to stick a duck or something in there with it! (I'll know for sure, maybe, once it's all thawed). Now what am I gonna do with one duck? Guess I'll throw it in with the goose to cook. (I'd like to cook someone's goose for bagging it up like that!)

Jayne said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Debby, Tim, Dylan and Cara.
Have a great day :)

Debby said...

Kelly! Turducken. Or gooducken.

Jayne, stop in!

WhiteStone, it is a delight to me to be able to putter around my house for a whole day. A WHOLE DAY!!!

Kelly said...

Mystery solved. It appears to be extra goose breast. So, no gooducken and no need to cook anyone's goose.

steviewren said...

Enjoy your house time. My mouth is watering at the thought of your homemade bread. Yum. Happy Thanksgiving to the four of you!

Bob said...

And don't we have ever so much for which to be thankful?

I hope you have a wonderful few days . . . enjoying your family . . . "putzing" . . . being thankful.

BUSH BABE said...

As I have never cooked either a goose or a duck, I can only imagine the dilemma Kelly finds herself in!

Thanksgiving is a great idea - although whoever decided to put it so close to Christmas needs a clip under the ear! *ducks*

Have a great week - looks like the study mountain is looking climbable again?
:-)
BB

Twain12 said...

Happy Thanksgiving ♥

Debby said...

I'm on the down hill slide, BB What I have realized is that it will all get done. I've got the majority of all the projects done, and I'll need to put the finishing touches on everything, but I'm losing my 'perfect paper' syndrome. I'm doing well, and well, that's good enough.

Yep. Plenty to be thankful for, Bob. Really, everyone, happy Thanksgiving. (And yes, BB, I've often thought Thanksgiving should be in that long stretch of days after the New Year, when there is nothing going on, and time just drags and the shortest month of the year lasts an eternity!

Roland said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Debby. :)

quid said...

I'm thankful I had your post to read.

I wish Kelly a happy goose. I get turkey. YAY!

Debby, hope you are enjoying the day.

quid

Grahamn Kracker said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Debby.

I don't know why, but this will not let me sign on as Bill of Wasilla today.