Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Sleeping In

Monday night is freight night at Tractor Supply. We work hard, and we laugh hard, and everyone pulls together. I like that. It's usually a late night, too. Last night we left at 10. I had to haul over and get gas in the truck, and then I headed home. I was starving, so I walked to the refrigerator to grab something to eat. I had a little internet research to do before I went to bed. Just like that, the power went out.

Well, I had my snack cold, and I went to bed, figuring to get up early. I turned on the light over our bed so that when the power came on, we'd be awakened by the light and Tim could reset the alarm on the clock. At two am, the power came back on. Tim set the alarm. And when the alarm went off, my first conscious thought was "*groan* But I'm tired. I need more sleep." Followed by more complaining. In my head. It was too much effort to form words. Tim leapt up, because that's the way Tim operates. He always springs out of bed like he's got rockets on his butt. Me? Yeah. No rockets. Ever.

So he goes bounding off for his shower. Our usual routine is that he showers, he comes back to our room, and then he switches on lights, talking a blue streak while he gets dressed, telling me that 'it's time to get up.' Except this morning, he came back to the room, switched the lights on, and then studied his clock. Then he turned the lights off and got back to bed. "What are you doing?" I asked, willing my mouth to form audible words. And he said, "I screwed up. I set the clock wrong when the power came back on. We still have another hour."

Best. Morning. Ever.

I snuggled back into my pillows and curled up and went back to sleep.

Side note: when the alarm went off one hour later, I was no more ready to get up then than I'd been the first time I woke up.

But still.

11 comments:

A Novel Woman said...

You slay me.

Doug has an alarm with a battery backup. He found this alarm clock that is plugged in but if the power does go out in the night (and it does with regularity here) then the batteries carry it until the power is restored. Also it has a second alarm, so he sets that one for 15 minutes after the first one. He can't risk being late for a patient (the first one is in the chair at 7 a.m.)

However it glows like an alien spaceship in the corner so I make him put a book in front of it. Oh, and only he knows how to reset the alarm. He's famous for going away on a course and forgetting to reset the alarm, so I get the full experience of a 5 a.m. wakeup call on a Saturday morning.

Jayne said...

I have one of those old fashioned wind-up travel clocks (the sort that folds up in itself like a little case?) so if I don't wind it....
I snore a lot, too :P

BUSH BABE said...

*sigh* the bonus sleep-in. Always good. Nearly as good as the REAL sleep-in. Which of course is ALWAYS interrupted by a phone call from my father.

("Missing the best hour of the bloody day, you know!")

:-)
BB

Lydia said...

What a great bonus!!! Glad you had the "extra" hour.

I am cracking up about the rockets on Tim's butt! LOL *wiping eyes* that is too funny.

Debby said...

Wow, BB. Reading this, the first thing that pops in my head is Tim and your dad must be related. (An abnormality like that almost certainly is genetic, don't you think?) Does your dad walk around singing "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood?"

In their defense, I do not think that they have the slightest idea just how annoying they actually are.

And allow me to say that your situation could be worse. Your father could be thundering up the stairs, bursting into your bedroom, switching on lights and talking and singing. I mean, you can always hang up the phone...

We probably should invest in one of those windup clocks. Both of ours have battery backups. What we never tend to remember is that one good power outage kills the batteries. Might well be connected to the fact that one of us doesn't want to get up in the morning anyway. It seems like it's getting harder and harder to force myself out of bed, I'm ashamed to say.

WhiteStone said...

Ahh, that last hour of sleep is the very best.

Kelly said...

I'm a vivid dreamer so I like to wake up on my own (without alarm) then lie in my bed and go over my dreams before they escape forever. Waking up to an alarm tends to put me in a cranky mood.

In recent years I've switched to using my cell phone for my alarm. I trust it more.

Mary Paddock said...

I hate the hour just before the alarm goes off--it is no man's land--can't safely go back to sleep and resent the idea of getting up before it's time. So finding an extra hour is better than finding gold.

Congrats. It sounds like you spent it wisely. :)

Grahamn Kracker said...

Two more hours would have been even better.

Debby said...

Mr. Kracker? You, sir, are correct.

PaintedPromise said...

i found a clock that sets itself... so if the power goes out in the middle of the night, my alarm is just fine - that is, so long as it has come back on before the time the alarm is set! and around here the power usually isn't off for long...

Randy is definitely NOT related to Tim. there are no rockets in his butt. not one... darn it! in fact i am the only person in our home that has ever been able to get up without a crowbar being applied!!!