Monday, November 29, 2010

Goals

Busy, busy, busy.

One of the papers that I've been working on is my own personal goals. We had to write them up a few weeks back. Now we are looking at them once again. Have they changed?

Mine have. Interestingly enough, I'll discard most of mine. I've discovered that I am not difficult to get along with. I need to adjust my expectations of others perhaps. I also need to adjust my expectations for myself. I also need to be careful not to fall into the mothering role. I have taken the advisor's words to heart, and I've really started examining not only my classroom performance, but my life.

Know what? I have discovered that I am not the root of all trouble. I've also discovered that I am likeable. Sounds stupid, but I did not know these things about myself. Am I perfect? No. Do I have to be? No. Is anybody? No again. I've set down a lot of guilt this semester, guilt that I've been carrying around for many years. Sometimes, I sit by myself and I watch people, and I do not wonder what they are thinking when they look at me. It doesn't matter. I smile at them, and there is no fear in it, no self doubt.

7 comments:

Bill of Wasilla said...

Well, I never was anonymous, but somehow I got caught up in their screen. It looks like it works again.

I'm glad you could discover what I am certain everyone close to you already knows.

Debby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Debby said...

Gees. I can't do anything in a hurry.

Bill! Welcome back! Whenever you're around that Grahamm Kracker takes a powder. Why is that, do you think?

Anyways, enjoy your day in the dark up there in Alaska.

Lydia said...

Hey Debby,

One of the best exercises I ever did was to give up guilt for Lent. Someone said it to me as a joke, and I took it to heart. What a freeing experience!

BUSH BABE said...

Sounds like the most important goal is definitely being realised! The mirror is getting clearer by the day...
:-)
BB

Kelly said...

What a freeing experience! I'm really glad you've made these discoveries about yourself.

Anonymous said...

Right, right, right, right and RIGHT! Glad you have got all that now. Right?

Love Barb