Sunday, November 7, 2010

Again

Today, I was working at the store when Mr. C came up. He's a big man with a booming voice. With no preparation, he made the announcement. His wife found out last week that her cancer has returned. We were busy, and I had no time to talk, not really, but his news had me reeling in shock. His wife finished treatment after me.

I really try hard not to let news like this affect me, but it does. It does. Inside me there was, once again, an uncurling of something dark and frightening. Anyone who's dealt with this cancer stuff understands this, I'm sure, and we all deal with it in our own way, I suppose. I took a deep breath, and I went back to work. I laughed with my customers, I joshed with my coworkers. I had a good day. If I laughed harder than usual, if I laughed longer than usual, I think that I'm probably the only one who noticed.

It is what it is.

10 comments:

Bill of Wasilla said...

Very sorry about your friend. I remain optimistic for you. There is no way that you can hear news like this and not be affected.

Bill of Wasilla said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Twain12 said...

sorry about your friend too, but i'm with Bill on the optimist part ♥

Stacey said...

Very sorry to that. I'm always sorry to hear such things and never a day goes by without worrying I'll hear those words again for myself. That's why, as you did, we have to enjoy everything, everyday, as much as we can.
Thanks for sharing.

Jayne said...

Sorry to hear this sad news about your friend (((hugs)))

Kelly said...

I'm sorry, too, about your friend's news.

Let it feed your compassion, not your fears.

quid said...

This is sad and my sympathies are with them. Naturally it made you look over your shoulder. On a high note, my friend Allen celebrates his 8th anniversary today. 8 years since he was told his non-Hodgkins lymphoma gave him 6 months to live.

Hopefully, that thought, and his ongoing remission, will offset what you are feeling.

quid

Bob said...

Yes news like this makes one stop in his/her tracks. But you moved on, you put one foot in front of the other and you LAUGHED. Good job.

Lydia said...

I never laugh harder than during my hardest times. No doubt that news like this would bring you up short. Hugs to you and your friends.

PaintedPromise said...

i too am sorry for your friends. you have good words from the bloggers above - heed them!!! i simply cannot imagine my world without Debby and therefore, since it's all about me... {wink} i too am 100% optimistic about you!