Sunday, October 3, 2010

Work Story

Today, at the Tractor Supply, I met a man with no legs. He was the liveliest charactor you'd ever want to meet. He was hauling a huge and heavy trailer part on his lap, and he twisted around to unload the bag on the back of his chair. I said, "Well, it looks like you've got your work cut out for you today," and he quickly answered, "No, the hard part's done. I've got that trailer built." I loaded up the bag at the back of his chair after ringing up the things. He paid for it, and airily called out, "Well, I'm off to see what trouble I can get into." It is amazing to see a person of that spirit. He said, "I live alone, and I don't need help. I do whatever I want to do." And I've no doubt that he does. He apologized for holding up the line, but you know, I don't imagine that anyone looking on felt anything but admiration.

Remember the man who had tears for his dog? Remember how he was talking about his neighbor who was paralyzed from the chest down, but used his hands to split wood, and to change the oil in the truck, and to weld?

Two stories like that, in the same week. It gives me hope, I tell you. It gives me hope for this world.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm always inspired by stories like this. I'm so glad you share them with us, Debby.

Lydia said...

all I can say is, wow. I am sure this guy has (or has had) some bad days like all of us, but it sure is encouraging to see someone do all they can with all they have. I guess that I all I would ask from those around me.

PaintedPromise said...

after yesterday's post it is YOU {and of course Tim} that give ME hope for this world... but hearing about this man was good too!!!