Saturday, October 9, 2010

Tractor Supply

Today, I went to work. Someone was sick, so I worked 12 hours. The extra money will be nice. I don't mind long days, and really, time flew by. It was a busy day, and it was fun, as always.

I got called into the office which always makes me a little nervous, but the manager wanted to give me my 90 day evaluation. I got good marks/meets expectations in all areas but one. The area about cooperation, being a team player, getting along with people and being customer oriented, stuff like that. I got above average/exceeds expectations. And then Mark said the very nicest thing. He said, "It was meant to be that you came to work for us. I consider you a God-incident." Isn't that nice? You know, I really do enjoy working there, and to know that they enjoy having me work there...well, how nice is that?

Today, a man came into the store. His wife walked behind him. As soon as I saw the look in the wife's eyes, I knew it. Alzheimer's. That blank look. Their eyes all look the same. Her husband talked, and the wife stood there. I gave her a quick smile, and she smiled back. I spoke to her, and the husband said, right away, "She's got that dee-mentia. That's an awful thing, that dee-mentia." And I agreed with him. It's an awful thing alright. "She goes with me, where ever I go," and he began to push the cart towards the door. His wife stood at the counter watching him go. She held up her hands, and began to talk. "I live in that place. You know, up there. Oh...." and she looked frustrated. And I said, "You mean Lakewood?" and she said, happily, "Yes. That's it." Her husband had told me. Her husband called from the door. "Come on. You're with me," and she looked at him confused. "Let's go home," he repeated. And she patted my arm, and smiled sweetly and followed him.

Yeah. That dee-mentia is an awful thing.

6 comments:

Twain12 said...

nice to be appreciated :)

Ash said...

My grandmother suffered from Alzheimer's for nearly 3 years before passing away earlier this year.. I still feel cheated by her death.. Alzheimer's stole away a strong, loving, hardworking and intelligent woman away from us.. She left too soon but I was happy to learn that a new experimental vaccine for Alzheimer's has now been developed by researchers.. I hope that the vaccine will let other, more fortunate granddaughters enjoy the company of their grandmothers longer than I could..

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

I feel as though I lost my mother twice, once to Alzheimer's and then several years later through death. Alzheimer's is an awful thing.

Kelly said...

My MIL had it. Yes... a terrible, terrible disease!

Bob said...

Yes it's horrible. How nice that she got to meet you, though. And congrats on the good marks at work. Not surprised

Bill of Wasilla said...

Yes, horrible - but a wonderful thing that her husband is doing.