Sunday, October 3, 2010

Today at the Tractor Supply

Today, unbelievably, I had a bad day at work. I worked from 9 until 6:30. It was busy, which I like, but there were lots of strange events happening. A fellow was upset with us because the propane stove he got from us 'was a piece of crap'. Turned out, he had it hooked up to leased gas. His story? 'The darn thing shoots a flame across the living room and goes out.' Dear heavens. Lucky he didn't burn his house down. Dave finally managed to convince the fellow he needed to buy a gas heater. (That Dave. He's a silver tongued devil...) I think that I am a gracious person, but I forgot to thank someone today. I said, "Have a great day." But I did not say thank you. Didn't even realized I'd done it until he jumped all over my behind. I apologized, but he didn't want none of that. He was not happy. I felt terrible, because really, I pay attention to that. I usually say, "Thanks a lot for your business. We really appreciate you stopping by." Another guy came in to buy some washers and bolts. They are sold by weight. When I entered the weights, the man interpreted the weights as the prices, and couldn't understand why .45 and .83 equaled $2.81. I explained that the .45 and the .83 were weights not prices. He was flipping mad. "You just give me a receipt," he snarled. "Sure," I said. I answered the phone and a customer yelled at me because the RV antifreeze was no longer on sale. "It's almost a dollar a gallon more," he yelled. "I know," I said. "The 2 for $7 price was a sale price. That was last month." He yelled about the price. I had a line. "Sir," I said, "I'm sorry. That sale is over. The price is $4.49," and he swore he'd never come into our store again.

It wasn't all awful, I suppose. An elderly couple came in, he with a cane, hobbling. As they headed out, I said, "We didn't have what you needed?" and the man said a little disgustedly, "I wanted a mattock. You don't have them." I was a little confused. "Yeah, we do. Well, at least we did... Let me go take a look." The man hobbled along telling me, 'I asked that man at the desk, and he said that you used to have them, but now you don't.' I honestly could not imagine that we'd sold out of something like that. I went over to the rack, and pulled one out. He looked and said, "By golly, there it is!" amazed. He'd looked over in the yard and garden tools, but it was over in the aisle with all the wood handling tools, the axes and go-devils and the like. Whoever he talked with must not have understood what he was asking for when he asked for a mattock. So we headed up to the cash register. They were both impressed as heck that I knew what he was talking about as soon as he said 'mattock'. Even as I toted the thing up to the counter, I wondered to myself, "Now how did I know that word?" But I did. As soon as he said the word, I knew what it was. I also remembered exactly where they were. Isn't that wierd?

13 comments:

Kelly said...

It wouldn't be life, Debby, if there weren't some bad experiences along with the good.

steviewren said...

I have no idea what a mattock is....I do know who Matlock is....does that count?

Mikey said...

I have no idea what a mattock is either! Do tell... and as for the guy who didn't get a thank you, geez... that guy needs an attitude adjustment. That's ridiculous!!!

Ash said...

I agree with Mikey about the guy who didn't get a thank you..
About the mattocks, that looked like a great example of the power of the sub-conscious mind at work..

quid said...

I confess that I don't know what a mattock is. Naturally, I wouldn't be able to find them. Sigh. It sounds like the customers were shooting the messenger.

quid

Debby said...

No, Stevie. Sorry. Matlock is not the same as a mattock. Since we don't sell Matlocks at the TSC, well, your knowledge on that particular topic would not be helpful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mattock. The picture there is not what I'd call a mattock, but it is half right. The three ended side? What I call a mattock has a pick axe blade on that side. The flat end is correct though, as far as I understand the thing.

A Novel Woman said...

I didn't know what a mattock was and had to look it up. As soon as I saw the illustration, I thought oh yeah, so that's what that is!

As for the "go-devil" well, that was another one I had to look up. Cool beans. Love learning new words!

Bill of Wasilla said...

I wish I could have come to your store yesterday. I would have brought you an Americano, Latte, Frappe, smoothie - whatever you prefer - and a chocolate chip cookie.

Debby said...

Vanilla cappuccino Bill. With double caffeine. And skip the chocolate chip cookie, unless you can find a broken one that the calories have all leaked out of.

Pencil Writer said...

Blessed, would be my take. God knows what everything is and where, and you were just open to the prompting to know "what and where". God know the little old hobbling man and his wife and suspect He knew you'd want to take care of them. I'm smiling because you're the kind of person who works with God's gentle guidance. You're good like that.

PaintedPromise said...

too funny, i don' tknow what a mattock is either, at least not by that name... and neither did Randy which REALLY surprised me. i am off to google it!

PaintedPromise said...

ok too funny, if you google mattock and go to images, WOW there are several different kinds... i would have called it a "pick" from the one picture, some of the others i have never seen...

Lori said...

My husband said he used to call them "mad axes" when he was a kid. Hey, you guys don't happen to have a really sturdy, well-built bush hook, do you? (Also called a swing blade or brush hook.) ACE used to carry them in our area, but they don't anymore, and I can't find one online that looks like the one we used to have. Oh well. Thought I'd ask, just in case. :)