Saturday, October 30, 2010

Taking a Break

Thursday night, I walked out of class. Vanessa walked with me. "Can you believe it?" she said. "Can you believe that we do not have some big project, or a major test, or something due that is driving us crazy?" And I glanced over at her and said, "No. I can't. I'm going home tonight, and I am taking the night off. I am not studying anything at all. Tomorrow, I'm going to clean my house." (It really needed some organizing.) We parted ways, and I came home. True to my word, I did nothing. Tim and I went down to take care of a tenant problem. We did some grocery shopping. I bought him a nice piece of walleye, and some half-n-half for a pot of cream of potato soup. I was in bed a few minutes after 8. The phone rang once, and it seemed as if it were in the middle of the night. Tim answered it from his side of the bed, and I said, confused, "Why's Bill Clinton calling us in the middle of the night?" It was not yet 9, and Tim didn't bother to answer me. It would have been a waste of time, because I had immediately fallen back to sleep.

Friday, I did clean house, change sheets, do laundry, organize things, scrub the bathroom. I did it with a phone pressed to my ear, catching up with an old friend. It feels like forever since we've had time to visit, and it was nice. There was a lot of laughter.

Today, I will work all day, but tomorrow, I have a Sunday off. Tim and I have plans for a lazy day, church and then a trip to pick up some parts to fix his poor deer damaged Mustang. We will take the long way home. Hopefully, I'll be able to stay awake. I really just feel like I could lay down and sleep for a week. Last night, I woke up and my back hurt so badly, I couldn't get comfortable to doze off again. Winter is here. I drove through a sleet storm to get to school yesterday, and it sleeted once again while I was house cleaning. The cold weather really aggravates my bones. But I have Sunday off, and I'll dress warmly, and Tim and I will have a pleasant day, just the two of us. No books. No worries. Just us.

10 comments:

Jayne said...

Sounds like a lovely plan for the day, just being.

quid said...

Friday and Sunday to do as you like. Wonderful! No one deserves it more.

It is hard for me to fathom a day of sleet. It is really the most beautiful part of the year in Florida.

I'll win the lottery tonight and fly you and Tim down. :)

quid

WhiteStone said...

Ah, the wonderful weekend! Ours here is good, too. Bless ya!

Kelly said...

Hey Quid...fly me over, too!

Enjoy your time de-stressing, Debby. You deserve some down time. Oh, and I guess we're just getting old. The cold makes my bones ache, too. At least we don't have the cold down here that you do. Dress warmly!

Mikey said...

Boy I want to be you. A nice quiet day off? Such a thing exists? Did you know Halloween lasts THREE DAYS this year? 2 days of parties and one of actual Halloween and trick or treating.
Your comment about Bill Clinton made me laugh. We say the strangest things while not fully awake. When Mesquite the horse died, Wade woke me up to tell me, and I said "Is he ok?"

steviewren said...

Enjoy your stress free weekend! It's funny to imagine the differences in our weather. We had a short cool snap, then it went right back to daytime highs in the 80s. After our stormy weather this past week it has once again cooled down...into the 70s during the day. NO sleet for us!

Happy Halloween!

Bill of Wasilla said...

Next time Bill Clinton calls, invite him over for venison stew.

Bob said...

What you are doing is giving yourself some "margin." Good for you. Enjoy.

Scotty said...

I don't envy you your Winters - when I was there in 2002, I froze my ass off, quite literally - I don't think I'll complain too much about the cold over here...

jeanie said...

Oh, there I was thinking you were going to have a marvellous weekend - and as the weather here was superb (export-quality, really) I templated it in my mind onto your experience. I am so sorry the warmth didn't get through from my imagination to you...

Hope it was wonderful.