Friday, October 22, 2010

Spam and Eggs.

You know, here's a site that needs to be publicized. You know those e-mails you get? Like I got one from 'Anita' just today. Subject line: 'Anita awaits your urgently reply.' I didn't open it, just deleted it from my spam account. I knew what it was. Basically the person involved will be either a) some high ranking govt. figure, b) some Godly missionary or c) a dying Godly person. What they have in common is that they have a huge amount of money some place that they cannot get to. What they have in common is that they have, out of all the people in the world, chosen YOU to help them, and to share in this fortune. Yeah. And I've got some oceanfront property in Pennsylvania to sell you. Ann apparently hates spammers as much she hate pink, and posted this link. It's a good one. Check it out.

That's the 'spam' portion. The 'egg' portion is about a hatched one.

A woman came in the store the other day, looking for shavings. I told her that we had pine shavings out front, $5.99. She looked, and said, "I don't need that many shavings." I sent her on back to where we keep the smaller bags of stuff that people use for their guinea pigs, or ferrets, or the like. She came up to the counter, and she mentioned that she saw some small cages that she liked, but they were too expensive. I asked her what sort of critter she had, and she said, "A chicken." Went on to say that he'd gotten a little spoiled. "His name is Merrill," she said, "Because we kept him in a Merrill boot box at first." Merrill, it turns out, is the sole survivor of a vicious fox massacre. A young ball of fluff, he was carefully placed in the boot box, and kept in a corner of the kitchen where he quickly became the apple of everyone's eye. Merrill has grown, and is now sprouting feathers. He is afraid of the dark, and has to have a night light. He also has a special fondness for 'books on tape.' When the reading starts, he settles himself atop of the stuffed chicken in his cage and listens intently, cocking his head and issuing quiet little peeps as the story unfolds. She showed me pictures of her chicken, and surprisingly, the first thing that I thought was, "I'll be darned if he doesn't just look like a 'Merrill'..."

We woke up this morning to our first snow. A light dusting of the stuff. 'Tis the season, I guess.

Bob suggested that I keep plugging along, and you know, that's exactly what I'm doing. Things are coming so fast and furious at this point that all I can do is keep my head down and work like crazy. Project by project, test by test, I'm getting through this. At times like these, my lack of self confidence is a problem. I feel as if I'm on the verge of failure with each and every project. With each and every test. I suppose that as I go along, I will become more confident, but I'm not there yet. I'm over my mad. It was simply two very different working styles. I'm a person who has to have things done in a timely fashion. Waiting until the last minute is not comfortable for me. I cannot work with procrastinators. I've learned that lesson, and will not make that mistake again. Furthermore, I cannot see how a person with high grades can 'fail' the course. Finally, I know that the instructors are sharp, sharp women. They know the deal. They can plainly see what happened here. Our group's stuff was submitted, and then at 12:30 at night, two people from the group send in a rewrite? K. also sent a strongly worded e-mail about the project and the behavior of the team mates. I need to relax.

Appointment at the cancer center. I do hate going back there. The further 'out' I get, the harder it is to make myself go back. I know this is not reasonable or sensible. It is just how I feel.

9 comments:

Lydia said...

Hope you have a super-productive day today!

WhiteStone said...

In regards to stress in the classroom...go back to this old adage...how important will this be 10 years from now? You'll do just fine, gradewise. Hang in there. And giggle...it helps.

Mikey said...

Lol @ Merrill. People are so interesting, aren't they? She just whipped out a picture of her chicken on you?! ROTFL!!!
Oh my... I just can't get over it, lol. You need to publish a book of stories from the Tractor Supply. I'm telling you...

Bob said...

HILARIOUS story about Merrill. I mean, laughing-out-loud hilarious.

I've always been lacking in the self confidence area myself. Matthew 5 -- the Beatitudes -- helps. If you have a minute, read it.

Debby said...

She actually had several pictures of him on her cell phone, and showed them to me. He really was adorable, and he actually did look like a Merrill. In any case, I said what I always say when people whip out pictures of their pets. I saw, "Awwww!" and I mean it.

Kelly said...

I had a pet chicken as a child. Her name was Spot. Merrill sounds great!!

Your first snow???? Geez.... it seems early! We're still getting in the mid 80s here.

Lori said...

I loved the story of Merril. I hope they build him a nice, strong pen, and that he can comfortably spend the rest of his days, lying on top of his stuffed chicken, nightlight shining brightly, listening to his books on tape. Great story.

Hope the doc. appointment goes well for you.

A Novel Woman said...

Did Merrill's owner look anything like this lady?

From a fascinating documentary I watched last year called The Natural History of the Chicken. Here's part one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkxO91TLKVg

PaintedPromise said...

aw i love Merrill's mom... that SO sounds like me lol.. or wat that MIKEY i was thinking of?????