Sunday, October 24, 2010

Overheard

Friday, at the Cancer Center, I had my blood work done and settled in to assemble study notes for a test. I listened to a group of women talk. The 90 year old woman talked about the secret of her young looking skin, and how one of her girls had sent a picture of her in to the company who manufactures her skin care line. She received a box of products. She sighed, "But my skin is ruined now," and everyone assured her that it was not. (It wasn't either.) They sat and visited and talked about their children, and their jobs, and the grandson who wanted to be a wine expert, and Italian recipes. The doctor son who is flying in from Minnesota. One woman from Philadelphia was home for a visit. "There's nothing left," she said, and she's right. A lot of factories are gone. A lot of the young people have left the area. I think of my own kids, and I keep my head down and my nose in my book. The women talk on about our town. "There's no place to shop here," they complained. "The mall is nothing. If you want to shop you have to drive to Erie."

These seemed like very nice women. Don't get me wrong. I just found myself wondering what it would be like to live in a world where the only thing that mattered is convenient shopping.

Tim found out that he will, like as not, be laid off again. Financially, we can make it, but losing insurance again... I guess that I am discouraged right now. Heading off to work when I should be headed off to church? That doesn't help.

9 comments:

BUSH BABE said...

Noooooo... sending prayers for better news than anticipated for Tim...

Can I be a complete heathen and say that you are closer to God doing what you do, than many are in a 'proper' church? He's everywhere.

Hugs y'all!
:-)
BB

Bob said...

As I was just about to write essentially the same thing BB wrote, I read her comment. Ditto.

Twain12 said...

sending hugs and love

Kelly said...

I'm sorry about Tim's job.

And count me in agreement with BB (and Bob).

(((hugs)))

quid said...

I had seen your comment about Tim in my blog. Getting laid off again is devastating. You know my circumstances... I am very up in the air, as well. It is hard to get through this all.

Let's be strong together. We are going to get through this.

quid

Anonymous said...

I echo the sentiments and well wishes of the others. And hope and pray that all goes well.
Regards DavidM

Mrs.Spit said...

I'm sorry about Tim, that's so very disheatening for your both.

Jayne said...

Sorry to hear that news about Tim, ditto what BB said, fingers crossed for you both xxx

Bill of Wasilla said...

Being self-employed, I never lose my job, but I sure know what its like to lose my income and to have my insurance company force me to drop their coverage after they had sucked over $100,000 out of me.

You never - maybe this will prove to be a step to something better.