Sunday, October 10, 2010

Looking Back.

I've been writing this presentation, and it is printing out, even as we speak. I have spent a lot of time rereading blog posts, putting it all together. My thoughts. How I felt. How Tim felt. Our struggle. I am grateful to Mikey, that she nagged me into blogging. It is good to have that record. I'm a pretty decent writer, because my own words made it very, very real.

Today, Tim and I went to Tractor Supply. I bought a copper birdfeeder for Mary and Danny, and 40 lbs of sunflower seed. I got her a thank you card. We drove up and dropped the things off. She and Danny were surprised. "What's that for," they asked. And I said to them, "I've been thinking about two Octobers ago, and I am so grateful to you. I just wanted you to know how grateful we are to you for your friendship during that hard time." And after all these years, neither one of them feel that they'd done anything special.

Today in church, I looked around, and I remembered how everyone had gathered around me during that hard time. During public prayer, a time when we offer up our joys and concerns, I told them that they were a remarkable church. They didn't think they'd done anything special either.

This week, I'll touch base with new Mary, to thank her for everything she's been to me, but I already know. She won't think she did anything special.

I'm surrounded by special people, and not one of them can see it.

Tomorrow, I'll give those presentations. I cannot imagine that my experience is any different from any other woman who has dealt with the same thing. I can't imagine that I have any new wisdom. Any wisdom at all, actually. I should have told the organizer no. I'll be glad when this is over and done with.

Good night.

10 comments:

Redlefty said...

Alright, since you're putting out there in plain view but aren't connecting the dots yourself, I'll try it. :)

Exhibit 1 -- you're telling these incredible people their help was incredible, but they just can't see it

Exhibit 2 -- people are telling you that your story is incredible, but you just don't see it

Love ya Debby and hope you find a way to savo the delivery of those presentations!

Lydia said...

What Redlefty said. Thanks, I couldn't have said it better.

Alli said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
steviewren said...

Debby, your presentation will be perfect.

Alli said...

I think I have brain freeze at times lol...

Sometimes it's hard to see what's right in front of you, it's not for not looking. We humble ourselves for not seeing what's been there all along. It is wonderful you had these special friends in your corner. For that you are truly Blessed.....


I am certain you will do exceptionally well!!

love Alli x

Mikey said...

I'm with RedLefty :)

Nancy said...

Debby, You are lucky to have had all of those people in your corner when you needed them - people just wanting to do the right thing, not thinking it was even anything that special and expecting nothing in return.

Pencil Writer said...

Redlefty pretty much pegged it. You'll be awesome!

Hal Johnson said...

Yep, RL nailed it.

A Novel Woman said...

Yup, ditto RL.