Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Long Day.

Today I went to school early, to get some study time in for this midterm tomorrow. I only had one class, Life Span, and this class kind of puzzles me. I feel like I have a good grasp of the material. I feel confident. I don't feel as if I am struggling with the tests. But I can't seem to function any higher than a 'B' in that class. It surprises me. I don't think it is a difficult class, but I'm unable to get my 'A'. I'm getting better though. I am no longer disappointed in a 'B'. It's not a bad grade. Speaking with one of my classmates today, he was frustrated at his grades as well. He's a smart guy. He seems to understand, as far as I can tell from his classroom discussion, but both his test scores are in the 60s, and he's pretty aggravated.

This afternoon, a bunch of us got together and studied for that midterm test, about eight of us. It was helpful, I think. We're all wrecks. We're all nervous. We'll all do our best, and I'm telling you all right now, if I get a B in this, well, I won't be disappointed at all.

At work tonight, I was processing a check and shockingly, the machine ate it. Chewed it right up. The man quietly said, "Well, let me run out to the truck and get my check book. Just ring these folks up." So I did. He came back in with his check book and went to the back of the line. "No, Mr. W, you come to the front of the line." "No," he said. "I'll wait. That way I'm not holding these folks up, if the machine decides to eat my check again." And even though the nice folks in line urged him to go ahead, he insisted on waiting. When it was his turn, I rang him up, and this time the machine processed his check without eating it. I told him that I truly appreciated his graciousness. He looked surprised and said, "If a person can't handle a little thing like this without getting mad, well, I say he's got a real problem." He right. But I didn't bother to point out that there's a lot of people in this world that have a real problem.

I saw Merrill's mama today. She was in buying a bigger cage for her spoiled chicken. I imagined him climbing up to get comfortable on his stuffed chicken, alertly cocking his head and making little peeps as he listened to the latest book on tape. And that mental picture made me smile.

One of the women in my class asked me if I would like to babysit her daughter in December. I'd enjoyed the time I'd spent with her and her daughter, and apparently her daughter had taken quite a shine to me. She wanted me to babysit. Of course I said yes. I'm looking forward to it too.

1 comment:

Lori said...

I hope you get to keep tabs on Merrill and how he's doing!