Saturday, October 2, 2010

Leap of Faith

I've been haunted by the story of the young man living in the tent. I called Tim at work. "What do you think we should do?" I asked. And he decided to head down and meet him as soon as he got off work. I was at work, when Tim came in. Tractor Supply was hopping. I knew that something was up because Tim waited. And waited. Finally, things slowed down. He walked up to the register and said, "The kid doesn't have anywhere to go. I told him to come back at 9, and I'd let him in, so that he has a place to sleep for the night." We both looked at each other. It's getting darned cold at night.

When I got off work, we went down to the apartment. I met him. Seems like a good enough kid. His mother died when he was still a child. He's very quiet. Had nothing. Nothing. We'd already got input from his pastor. His case worker.

Yeah. You pretty much knew how this was going to go down didn't you? Truth be told? So did we. We took a carload of supplies with us when we went down to meet him. We told him, "We're going to do a month to month lease. How long you wind up staying will depend entirely on you, son. We hope it's a long, long time, though." He looked surprised, and said, fervently, "I hope so too." We left the apartment. I looked back. "Welcome home," I said. He came out in the hall, and shook our hands. "I really appreciate this," he said. "Thank you so much."

Leap of faith. Big leap of faith. Did you ever just get a feeling about something?

15 comments:

Mikey said...

I think it sounds real good :) You bunch of mother hens :) (I mean that in the best way)

Bill of Wasilla said...

It is a big leap of faith. Your hearts are big. Hopefully, it will all go well, but one never knows until it does.

Jayne said...

A leap of faith that has put the simple faith in humanity back in that boy, probably :)
Bless you and Tim, you both rock xxx.

Caroline said...

You did the right thing. You gave someone a chance.

Twain12 said...

hope it all goes well too...i'm glad you had this leap of faith

Bob said...

There are people who talk about faith. There are people whose faith takes action.

"For I was a stranger and you took me in."

Ever see the movie, "The Blind Side?" Or read the boook?

You turned around and you changed a life. Another good one: "Same Kind of Different As Me."

Both books about people like you and Tim who were not content to sit on the sidelines of life but, rather, want to help God change lives.

A Novel Woman said...

My mother always despaired that I would take in strays, human and animal alike. But I can't, simply can't, just keep walking and pretend I didn't see.

You know what I like about you? That you don't just talk the talk. I really hope things work out with this young man.

Kelly said...

I'm glad you took the chance.

Lydia said...

I am so glad that you and Tim are giving this young man a chance.

It doesn't take faith when you know what the outcome will be. Faith comes when you are taking the risk. No matter the outcome, you have done the right thing, and that is what counts.

Scotty said...

Kudos to you and Tim for having such big hearts - it's what the world needs more of...

BUSH BABE said...

Yeah... I know that feeling. Had it the moment I 'met' you. You are a good, good woman. Married to a real good man. I will follow this trail with great interest indeed.

BB

BUSH BABE said...

PS Just watched the Blind Side for the third time... what a GREAT movie. Makes me all happy inside...
:-)
BB

BUSH BABE said...

PS Just watched the Blind Side for the third time... what a GREAT movie. Makes me all happy inside...
:-)
BB

PaintedPromise said...

this made me cry... God bless you and Tim! and that young man, may he live up to the good things being given him!

Lori said...

You two are truly wonderful people!