Sunday, October 31, 2010

Haunt

Here's a story for you. I came downstairs yesterday morning all half awake and hobbling like I do in the morning, and there, in front of the stove was a dog biscuit.

A dog biscuit.

You understand what I'm saying here, right? A dog biscuit was in front of the stove. A whole dog biscuit.

I had the dog euthenized in the spring. I gave his dog things away almost immediately because it made me cry to see them. We have not had a beef basted biscuit in the house since.

There is only one explanation possible. My dog's ghost haunts the kitchen. It was his favorite place, after all. He was a big dog, and he took up most of the kitchen as he waited, just a little anxiously, for the cook to drop something. Which she did a lot. (Usually, after saying, "Buck!") So Buck is back, and fitting, isn't it, being that he timed his return to coincide with Halloween and all?

Well. Then there is another explanation, I suppose. Just to play it safe, the first thing that I did when I got to work was to buy some mouse bait. There is the off chance that this might be the beginning of our annual mouse immigration. They attempt to take up residence each year as soon as it starts getting cold.

So, it could be a ghost dog, or mice. One of the two.

I still cannot figure out where the dog biscuit came from though.

10 comments:

Kelly said...

How eerie!!!! I have a friend that swears once we lose a dog that it's characteristics show up in one of our other dogs (we're both multiple dog people). It's true. Since losing both Betty and Esther this year, I've seen their mannerisms show up in both Alice and Mabel....and even Suzy who never met either of them.

As for your biscuit... my first rational thought was that it had been stashed earlier in the year and it just now got dragged out from somewhere by a mouse. Great creepy story for Halloween, though!! My post for the day has human bones in it, but it's not exactly creepy.

Kelly said...

And that was the wrong kind of "it's/its" in my comment. Things like that bug me.

Twain12 said...

i like the dog ghost story better :)

Pam said...

What Kelly said is true here, too. I lost my two older Shelties last January and March. The now 9-month-old Sheltie pup has a scar on his nose ( same place and from running the fence line like the older dog ) like R2 had. He also sleeps on the bed in exactly the same spot that R2 always preferred to sleep.

My vote is on the dog ghost. :)

Bill of Wasilla said...

It was your dog. Absolutely.

Well, if one must live in a haunted house, what better than to have it protected by the ghost of a loving and loyal dog.

Too bad this did not happen in time for you to write a story for the latest NPR round of three minute fiction. Inspired by this, you could have come up with a good one, I'm sure.

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

@Bill of Wasilla - Debby still has time to come up with a good story for NPR ... next year! My vote is on the dog ghost!

steviewren said...

There are some hilarious goings on in your house this Halloween I see. My vote is on the mouse...after my last bout with them, I'm sure they are determined little critters. I say get the traps and be on the safe side.

deardarl said...

Oh Buck is sooo back!

BUSH BABE said...

Cool... give him a virtual pat for me!@!!!
:-)
BB

PaintedPromise said...

Buck. most definitely! not a doubt in my mind... yup, Buck!