Thursday, October 21, 2010

Aftermath

It's done. My gosh, what a stressful day. I got to school at 8 to rehearse, and no one was there. They met somewhere else. It was probably a good thing. When I walked to class, one of the revampers rushed by me and said, "We fixed everything. We were up until 12:30." I said, "I sent the rough draft to everyone on the 13th. You told me it looked great and thanked me for doing it. 'Young Girl' did not bother to reply at all. To decide it was unacceptable after it had been printed off and submitted to the professors was unfair. To make those changes last night, hours before the presentation, unfair. To make those changes without any input from 1/2 the group, unfair." They will not back down. They were right. They saved us, and we are ungrateful.

K. and I had a chance to talk after the presentation. We left campus and went out to pick up her daughter at the babysitter's house, and drop her off at school. She was still mad. Mostly because the other two members of the team keep trying to talk to her as if nothing is wrong. (I sit on the other side of the classroom.) In any case, she told them, "Listen, I'm really upset, and I just don't want to make small talk right now. I need time to process this." Her comment was met with huffs and eyerolls. I'm still mad myself, truth be told, but I said to her, "It's done. We did all right, despite the problems, I think. We will spend a lot of time with these women in the classroom setting for the next couple years. We need to take a deep breath and move on. Some people just wait until the 13th hour to pull it all together. That's way out of our comfort zone. We just know who we cannot work with on these sorts of projects." She heaved a quavering sigh. "I know," she said, "but this was so stressful, and it didn't have to be." She's right.

So we endured. We got through it. We were assigned another group project today. I swear to you, I am strongly considering working alone. The thing that bothers me is that today the teachers made a startling announcement. The fact of it is that you can get straight A's and still not pass, if they deem that you are not a team player. That will be interesting to see how they view this situation. Half of the group thinks that we are ungrateful people. Half the group sees two people who coasted on the project until the very last minute, and then simply rejected a big part of the work without even attempting to get a consensus.

Who knows?

I don't have time to think about it. I've got a unit test and a midterm, and three papers to write. Honestly. Honestly....

8 comments:

Jayne said...

(((hugs))) and good luck with your unit test xxx

Mary Paddock said...

Debby, you really, really need to set up a meeting with your instructor. At the very least, make sure she's aware that there's a problem brewing, that you've done projects with these two people twice now and there have been pronounced tensions both times. You won't be the first student who's run into this. She will have
solutions.

Bill of Wasilla said...

I say, don't worry about any of it.

Just blog, blog, blog and then turn in a few pages from your blog, say you teamed up with "me, myself, and I," which proved to be a most effective little group of four.

Bob said...

K. is lucky to have you as a friend and classmate. Keep plugging.

steviewren said...

My input would be to play the part of team player if that is what it takes to pass. You know the truth and if an instructor can't see, or refuses to see, then you have no other resort except to play the game...just make sure you play it better than those two goofballs!

Debby said...

Oh, we were team players. We did the presentation. What was frightening was to have put so much work into it only to have two people stepping in at the last minute to do make all these changes. We did not know what they were doing. We were not allowed to. It's just that their take on it is that our presentation was 'aesthetically unpleasing' (among other things). This project had been assigned for nearly a month. We'd been assembling it week by week. Each week, we met, went over everything, made changes, discussed what came next, and then stepped out again. The final day, when we were basically sending the stuff to the teachers, and rehearsing our part, they began to express unhappiness with the finished product. We said, "We don't have time to make the changes now. The time for changing was all of these meetings we'd been having right along. Or e-mailing the group. Anything. The statement was made, "You should have e-mailed us to ask us if we wanted to change anything." I said, "Well, I sent you an e-mail just last week asking for changes and 'tweaks'. One of you said, "Looks great thanks," the other didn't respond. The one who did not respond said to me, "So you should have sent me another e-mail and said, "I need you to respond." Having someone call at 10 PM to say that everything was being redone and they didn't know what was changing, and did know what to do. Not cool. Not cool.

One of the quotes used in the slide presentation was actually one that one of the girls wrote, and attributed to herself, as if she were an expert in the field. I found that shocking. On the whole, no huge damage was done. However, really, by the time that we were all standing up in front of the group, the whole 'team project' was finished.

Kelly said...

Well, at least it's over with. Hopefully you won't have to work on a group project with those two again.

Mrs.Spit said...

some how I don't think your teachers were talking about you Debby.