Sunday, September 26, 2010

Work

I really like working at Tractor Supply. The people are great and fun to work with. Last night we were working hard, and very close to making bonus. So very close. I said, "Can we keep the store open a little late?" and the manager said, "Oh, yeah. We're staying open." We did it. We made bonus. It was a great moment to stand out in front of the store high fiving each other. I like the camaraderie there a lot.

I like the customers too. An older guy came in today. He wore a shirt emblazoned with 'bad ass'. He looked like a pretty rough character. He was in to buy some welding supplies for his neighbor. He talked about how much he respected that neighbor, paralyzed from the chest down, but a worker, out using a log splitter to split his wood, and welding. Said the guy had changed his own oil that morning. The man shook his head in amazement. I said, "You know, you don't see many like that these days," and the guy said, "You're right." He seemed loathe to go. Visited a little, still holding his bag. Out of the blue, he said, "I'm having an awful time. I had to have my dog put to sleep yesterday, and I can't be in my house right now. Everything reminds me that my dog isn't there." Right away, I thought of my Buck. "It's a hard thing," I said. "Even when it's the right thing, it's still awfully hard." And much to my surprise, his eyes got red, and two fat tears trickled down his bearded face. "I told my wife, I just got to be away from the house for a little bit." I commiserated with him, and because I'm a sap, I got all teary eyed for him too. A couple guys came up and he left, quickly. Probably embarrassed to be seen in public with tears in his eyes. The two new customers looked at me surprised as I quickly wiped my own eyes. I said, "Gees. I'm crying over somebody else's dog. Aren't I the biggest mess?" I shot them a look. "You're not going to make me cry, are you?" and they laughed. Business went on as normal, but later, when things quieted down again, I thought how nice it is to know that there are tenderhearted people in this world. I think we need more of them.

5 comments:

Twain12 said...

you are right and it says a lot about you too that he felt comfortable talking to you about it. You must have a really warm aura about you.

Mikey said...

Such good stories from the Tractor Supply :) I love it that you work there :)

jeanie said...

How many tractor sales does it take to make bonus?

Kelly said...

Well, I'm not crying (hard to make me cry for some reason), but you did get to me with the dog story. Yep. It got to me....

PaintedPromise said...

i AM crying...