Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Today at the Tractor Supply

So today's story is pretty funny actually. I was at the Tractor Supply and a young man came in. I saw him casting quick looks around, so I walked over and said, "Can I help you?" and he said, "I'm looking for summer shirts. Don't you have a summer shirts on sale?" "Yes," I said, 'but they were all marked down in August, so we don't have a lot of them left at this point. What we've got, though, is right here," and I led him to the clearance rack. He found some shirts and came up with three of them and a wallet. He said, "Man, I hate that I missed that sale. I really need summer shirts," and I said, "Well, next year, just remember to get here in August." His smile flashed white in his black beard. "I won't be here," he said, triumphantly. "Really?" I said, ringing up his stuff. "Where are you headed? Down south where it is warm?" "I'll say!" he exclaimed. "I'm headed for Australia!" I stopped what I was doing to stare at him. "Really? Where?" and he said, "Toowoomba," and it seemed that he liked the way it rolled off his tongue. "In Queensland," I said, and it was his turn to stare. "That's right," he said. "West of Brisbane, working for a harvesting company." The Big Smoke. He looked quite interested. "Have you been there?" he said. "Nope," I said. "But I've got friends there," and I thought about BB and Jeanie, and their lovely mother Anonymous. After he left, I vacuumed, thinking, just the tiniest bit enviously of this young man's adventure, but mostly thinking this...that one day, the Granite Glen gals might be traveling down the bitumen headed for one place or another, and they will pass a young man running a combine, a young man with dark hair and a black beard. They might not give him a second glance, nor he, them. And they will never realize the tie that connects them all from the other side of the world.

The internet makes the world a very small place. Cozy even.

12 comments:

Donna said...

Indeed it does.

Lydia said...

The Spanish have a saying "el mundo es un panuelo" it means, the world is a handkerchief. I guess you just lift up the 4 corners and it all falls together... but at Tractor Supply????? Who'd a thought!

BUSH BABE said...

Toowoomba is only a bit over three hours drive from us - amazing! And amazing he can pronounce it... you never know. I'll keep my ears peeled for a yankie accent round the Darling Downs.
:-)
BB

Jayne said...

The world is forever shrinking ;)

Bill of Wasilla said...

And yet - they might just meet and discover that you are the link that binds them all together.

Dave said...

And we get to make friends with folk we may never meet otherwise, thanks to blogging. Isn't the computer and internet amazing? - Dave

Debby said...

BB - Well, actually, since we're both hapless Yanks who have never actually been to Oz, we don't KNOW that we're pronouncing Toowoomba right, but I know the way he said it, and it was the same way I thunk it, and so, to our way of thinking, we were right. 2-woom-ba?

jeanie said...

Do you know that Bush Babe LIVED in Toowoomba in her university days - and I got to witness her break the world record in sneezes.

BUSH BABE said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BUSH BABE said...

Deb, it's TWO-WooH-M-BUH. (Did that make any sense at all?)

Jeanie - nice of you to remind me of that. Hint for unwary beginners: futons and allergy sufferers should never mix. Beating that thing clean darned near killed me.
:-)
BB

Kelly said...

I think I know the title for your book of essays, Debby: "At the Tractor Supply"

Another great story!!

PaintedPromise said...

fabulous thought... i do so hope the down-under gals run into your young man!