Friday, September 17, 2010

This morning, I slept in. I was so tired yesterday that I actually got nauseous getting ready for school. As I tried to ignore it, it simply got worse, so finally, I went back to bed, hopeful that if I layed down, I'd feel better in a few minutes. Instead, I fell soundly asleep until after 10. I putzed around the house half heartedly for the rest of the day, feeling guilty about not being at school, taking frequent breaks and finally, another nap. I made simple french bread pizza for supper, and finally, Tim and I went to church for a Bible study on Daniel. I was a little dismayed to find out that this is going to be a study on the prophesy of Daniel. It is designed to show us all, that no matter what, God's in charge. I believe that He is. I also believe that God and I have a deal. For the last couple years, I've been thinking alot about 'end times'. Mine, but hey, end times are end times, right? My take on it is that the number of days, well, that's God's business. How I spend those days, well that's MY business. I try hard to spend those days being a good person, kind, and helpful. Praying for others. Putting God in charge of my life. But I really have no interest in trying to decipher prophesy. I mostly don't like those prophetic interpretations presented as fact. We don't know. That's the truth of it. We do not know. We can guess what it means, but when those guesses are being presented as fact, well, it makes me nervous. Very nervous. So, now I'm in a Bible study that I'm probably going to want to back out of. I haven't talked to Tim on it. I was so tired sitting there that I nearly fell asleep listening to Pastor Dave talk. When we got home, I went to bed, at 8:30 at night, to read a little (Blood Done Sign My Name - an interesting account of the Civil Rights Movement in a small southern town through the eyes of a preacher's son.) I immersed myself in the thunder of the past even as I averted my eyes, earlier, from the dire storm warnings in our future. I fell asleep once more listening to the comforting sound of rain on the roof, and the sound of far off thunder.

7 comments:

Twain12 said...

great post, i sometimes wonder if leard from our past.
I hope you feel better soon ♥

Twain12 said...

learned (sorry)..wish there was an edit button

Mrs.Spit said...

Go to sleep Debby, you've had a long few weeks. Sleep now, or sleep when you get really sick.

Kelly said...

I'm glad you listened to your body and rested. Sleep is one of the best things you can do at times like that.

I did a study on Daniel a few years ago that was wonderful!! I'm so thankful that God is in control of my life. Especially when I feel so out of control about things (like I did earlier today).

Get well, Debby.

Mary Paddock said...

I'm glad you rested instead of going to school. Sitting in class, sick, would have been pretty pointless.

The boys and I did a study on the book of Daniel last year for youth group and we were really surprised at how much we all got out of it.

Jayne said...

You obviously needed the rest,hope you're feeling better soon :)

Pencil Writer said...

"But I really have no interest in trying to decipher prophesy. I mostly don't like those prophetic interpretations presented as fact. We don't know. That's the truth of it. We do not know. We can guess what it means, but when those guesses are being presented as fact, well, it makes me nervous."

I believe I understand what you're saying. Daniel was a prophet. To understand what he recorded as a prophecy requires a prophet to explain it.

I believe there has been such a prophet. As in Amos 3:7 (which is part of the Sunday School lesson I'll be teaching tomorrow) we're told that the Lord will do nothing without telling his prophet--who in turn tells the people (us)--what the Lord is going to do.

I also believe there is a living prophet today. And that helps me not be so nervous. Even in the face of all that is going on around us throughout the world.

I don't understand a lot about the prophecies in the scriptures, but I've learned a lot in the last few years and I'm very grateful for the insight a living prophet has to share with the world and also for the witness of the Holy Ghost of what is true.