Monday, September 27, 2010

Somebody Loves Some Bunny

I was at the Tractor Supply opening up cases of suet. It's on sale 12 for $10, so it's been flying out the door like crazy. Can barely keep up with it. In any case, I'm working away. A woman comes up and asks me about a rabbit cage. Is it the only one we have? I see that the metal slide out tray has been banged in and bent. It turns out that it is the only one we have, but I tell them that the manager said that they could have it for $25. and point out that the metal tray is made of tin and could be straightened out easily with some pliers.

About then, their daughter, maybe 9 years old, begins to take a fit. She's crying because she does not want that small cage for her bunny. Her parents try to debate it, but she's adamant. She wants a bigger cage. Mentally, I'm rooting for the kid. Until I hear that this bunny is a bunny who lives in the lap of luxury. He is house broken and has the run of the house. He only goes in a cage when no one is home, for his own safety, rabbits being real chewers. Additionally, he has a second larger cage. This one is merely the one that will be in the little girl's room, the cage that he will use at night to sleep in. This cage is probably 2' by 3'.

So I look at this little girl, so emotionally overwrought, and I tell her that she has a very good heart, and that I love to see someone who takes good care of her animals. But I also point out that in the wild, rabbits go into very enclosed burrows to sleep, that it makes them feel secure and safe from predators, that this is their nature. The little girl takes this in very seriously. I tell her, "You know, you can test that yourself. Put a box in his cage and watch. And I will bet you that when he is put in his cage, he chooses to go into it, into an even smaller space to sleep. It is a protective instinct that many small animals have." I then told them to think it over, and I'd go back to my suet, and to just stop by and let me know if they didn't want the cage so that I could put it back up on the shelf.

Before too long, the three of them came by carrying the cage. They had decided to take it after all, and I carried it up to the register for them while they finished shopping. I was on the register when they came up with the rest of their purchases, and the little girl looked much happier. "Do you want a box for our experiment?" I asked, and with an excited smile she said yes. So I grabbed one from the stock room, and when I gave it to her, I said, "You come back and let me know how this experiment works out for you, okay?" and the little scientist went out the door with her box.

I miss having kids.

13 comments:

Jayne said...

You're a gem , Debby :)

jeanie said...

I want to come and buy something from you Debby!!

Debby said...

Jeanie? If you ever show up at Tractor Supply, I'm going to make sure you get a free hat. FREE! I'll even throw one in for V and Salina and little Paris too.

Lydia said...

Debbie, you have more understanding and patience than Mother Theresa. Holy cow. I would not have handled that nearly as well as you did. Thanks for showing me (yet another) place I can learn and grow. :) I have to agree with Jayne, you are a gem!

Karen said...

I love this story! Please, if the little girl returns, let me know how it turned out! :)

Mikey said...

I love how you take a situation like that and just make it so much fun. I bet you're SO good with kids :)
Love these stories. Really really do. You need to set a few aside and start compiling "Stories from the Tractor Supply". Seriously. There's a real good book here, full of real stories about real people. That's the stuff we love.
I'm right too. I was right about blogging. I'm right about this. Write em up and get it to a publisher.

Mikey said...

oh and do stop by. I've been wrangling a snake this morning :)

Bill of Wasilla said...

You have been blessed with the wisdom of Solomon.

Mary Paddock said...

What a great solution! And kuddos to the little girl too for caring so deeply for her bunny.

Frankly, you are a lot friendlier than the people at the feed store I used to buy my dog food from. If they'd been your kind of nice, I'd still be looking for reasons to go in there. :)

Kelly said...

I'm glad you told her that because it was just what I was thinking. Same with dogs. They really like that small space. I use to laugh at how tiny my Rottweilers could curl themselves up at times!

I just love all your stories from the Tractor Supply. Still say it would make a great title for your book of essays!

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb, considering your love of kids and occupational therapy, have you considered combining the two and becoming an OT for kids?

Cheers,
DavidM

BUSH BABE said...

This one just about made me cry Deb - that was the PERFECT response to that little girl. Have you won Employee of the Month for Tractor Supply yet or do they frown on all those box giveaways? (Heh).

I love David M's suggestion....
:-)
BB

steviewren said...

You're a natural, Debby. You should be studying to become a teacher. Kids need someone in the classroom gently pointing them in the right direction. It's a gift and you've got it.