Sunday, September 12, 2010

Post Traumatic Stress

I have been so dragging tired this past week. School has seemed too big to handle, so much stuff coming from so many different directions. I think that I'm getting the hang of it, but still, it's a little overwhelming and I'm. Just. So. Tired. I've been trying to study for a test on Tuesday, but it is hard because I wake up in the morning exhausted. I drink coffee and slog through the day...exhausted. This morning, getting ready for church, I felt so tired that I allowed myself to think it: 'I'd better make an appointment to be seen. This is NOT normal.' I got through church, and visited with friends during the chicken and biscuit dinner that I had no appetite for. Tim and I went grocery shopping. I actually started to feel light headed and woozy, like I might just have to sit down for a minute in the middle of Aldi's. It felt good to come home, and get things put away. I sat down to study, but it was so hard to stay focused. My head began to ache. I began to get a feverish 'swimmy' sort of feeling. Something was definately wrong, and, to my own shame, I began to feel those little prickles of fear. I found myself wondering, "What about those bruises all over your legs?" "What about those aching bones?" and even "What if the weight loss thing has nothing to do with your good habits?" On and on. Even though I pride myself on being a practical and logical sort of gal, well, this afternoon, I wasn't I am embarrassed to say. I kept my fears to myself, not even mentioning them to Tim, but inside, I was quietly, plainly scared.

I've never been so relieved to begin sneezing in all my born days. I'm coming down with a cold. I feel pretty darn foolish, and am grateful that I kept my fears to myself (until now, anyhow...)

I'm taking aspirin and putting my feverish self to bed. Catch all you good people on the rebound.

7 comments:

A Novel Woman said...

Ah, poor you. Feel better! (That cold you describe is going around.)

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb A cold - good news!!! Hope you feel better soon. If you are just overtired at other times, I find (if you can get it!)that putting the books away now and then and just go to bed for a really long sleep works wonders for days when you are under pressure with work and study.

Meantime, lots of Vitamin C (the ascorbate type and not the flavoured chewable ones) at 1000mg at least three or four times a day will shorten the cold and improve the symptoms. My kids will hoot when they read this as they have heard it so often, but I hardly ever get a full blown cold and really hit the Vit C when I feel one threatening. Also a regular once a day tablet helps the immune system post cancer I have found. Orange juice does not deliver enough of a 'hit' although it has other goodies in it. (Actually it is best to eat the whole orange and get all of it than squeeze it.)

Here endeth the lesson Get better soon Love Barb

Kelly said...

Isn't it terrible when we let our minds race!? I'm often guilty of that.

Glad it's just a cold and hope you aren't too miserable before it runs its course. Try to pamper yourself some!

Jayne said...

Glad it's just a garden variety cold you've got and you're not silly to worry about symptoms (((hugs))).

Roland said...

feel better

Dave said...

Best wishes for you that your worst fears are unfounded. Cold can certainly sap ones energy. - Dave

Twain12 said...

hope you feel better soon ♥