Sunday, September 12, 2010

Nothing

Yesterday, I worked, and I worked hard. I like to work hard. Although if I'd have known that I'd be working that hard, I wouldn't have worn a sweatshirt. The cool damp has been a real problem for my bones, and I try to avoid getting cold. It makes me miserable. My sweatshirt was just a wee bit too hot once I got going, hauling pallets out using the pallet jack. Climbing up and down ladders pulling stock from the upper shelves, moving bags of chicken feed or corn or lime. Stuff like that. I was coming around the corner with the ladder when I heard two managers talking. "That Debby, you give her something to do, and she's ON it." Nice to overhear a nice comment about yourself. It got me to thinking on the power of positive gossip.

I came home and studied for a test. When I went to bed, I was tired. It began to rain, and I lay there, next to Tim, warm and drowsy, listening to the rain pattering on the roof. There was a bright flash of lightning and when the thunder came, it rumbled on and on and on, reverberating from one end of the sky to the other. I lay in bed listening to it, watching the sky sporatically flash, followed by the thunder that rolled on for ever and ever, and I thought about my day, and the days before this day, and the days to come in the arms of a husband snoring gently. I prayed for five kids grown and gone...and at some point, I fell asleep.

3 comments:

Bill of Wasilla said...

Nice, nice, image.

Jayne said...

Fabulous gossip and I love snuggling in bed while listening to the rain outside :)

PaintedPromise said...

what a great thing to overhear!!!