Friday, September 3, 2010

INFJ

The class was required to do an abbreviated Myers Brigg Type Indicator test. It's part of 'self awareness', which is the first step in 'therapeutic use of self'. I don't know how much stock I take in this sort of thing, but hey, I do what I'm supposed to do, so I did the test, which did not take long. It returned the results, listing me as INFJ, which means Introverted, iNtuitive, Feeling, Judgement.

I read:

"INFJs are distinguished by both their complexity of character and the unusual range and depth of their talents. Strongly humanitarian in outlook, INFJs tend to be idealists, and because of their J preference for closure and completion, they are generally "doers" as well as dreamers. This rare combination of vision and practicality often results in INFJs taking a disproportionate amount of responsibility in the various causes to which so many of them seem to be drawn.
INFJs are deeply concerned about their relations with individuals as well as the state of humanity at large. They are, in fact, sometimes mistaken for extroverts because they appear so outgoing and are so genuinely interested in people -- a product of the Feeling function they most readily show to the world. On the contrary, INFJs are true introverts, who can only be emotionally intimate and fulfilled with a chosen few from among their long-term friends, family, or obvious "soul mates." While instinctively courting the personal and organizational demands continually made upon them by others, at intervals INFJs will suddenly withdraw into themselves, sometimes shutting out even their intimates. This apparent paradox is a necessary escape valve for them, providing both time to rebuild their depleted resources and a filter to prevent the emotional overload to which they are so susceptible as inherent "givers." As a pattern of behavior, it is perhaps the most confusing aspect of the enigmatic INFJ character to outsiders, and hence the most often misunderstood -- particularly by those who have little experience with this rare type
."

Reading that this type accounts for only 1-3 percent of the population, I mused to myself 'Is that why I've felt like a wierdo for most of my life?' Like I said, I don't know how much stock I put into stuff like this, but it is interesting to consider the possibilities. Yesterday, I went to class, and the teacher had put together the class' results. I looked at the paper and was amazed to see that 29% of the class was INFJ. It was a bit of a shock, and I immediately wondered, 'Is this why I have this feeling that I am exactly where I am supposed to be?' Like I said, it is interesting to consider the possibilities.

At my locker, dragging out all my books to go home, I was talking to a couple of people from my class. One of them, in her forties, said, "It is so strange. I told my husband, "I don't know what it is, but I feel that I am right where I am supposed to be, doing what I was meant to do all of my life." Hearing my own words coming out of someone else's mouth struck me speechless (just for a couple moments. Come on. You know me...) but that dumbstruck silence was enough time for the other woman to say, shocked, "I've been feeling the same way..." and I finally found my words to say, "Me, too," and we looked at each other, the three of us, and knew that it was a beginning.

PS: I was excited to come home and find my first e-mail from Henry W. I had asked him the first of my hundred questions: You said that you were 15 when you made your first choice. What was the choice that you made? And his answer came: my very first choice I made was while living at Willowbrook when I was 15. We were made to wear jump suits like prison inmates - then when I turned 15, I made the choice to wear t-shirts and blue jeans that were hand-me-downs or donated. It felt really good to feel and look "normal".

I thought about that for a while. I remember my own children picking out their clothes almost as soon as they could open their dresser drawers. I thought about that, about not being given even a choice as simple as that until you were 15. I was moved.

Henry also expressed how glad he was for my e-mail, and that he loved questions. I smiled as I read that, and hit reply. I asked him my next question.

PPS: It's official. I have crossed that 20 pound mark. I am very close to the 21 pound mark. Yay! Oh yay!

17 comments:

Twain12 said...

congrats on the weight loss :)...Henry is such an exceptional human being, good to read you get your questions answered. I did the test a few times, i use to come out as an INTP, but the last few years INTJ...i guess i must have changed a little as i got older and in the end i think we are all very unique and no test will ever get it right:)

Ash said...

Congrats Debby.. Is the test you took available online? I would like to take it too..

Debby said...

Try this, Ash.

http://www.humanmetrics.com/#Jung Myers Briggs

Ash said...

Thank you Debby :)

steviewren said...

Yay to you for the weight loss!

I love tests like the Myers. I think they help us put into words why we act, respond, and feel like we do. Of course, every test can't be 100% right, so I always take the answers with a grain of salt.

This part of the explanation of a INFJ is completely me, "at intervals INFJs will suddenly withdraw into themselves, sometimes shutting out even their intimates. This apparent paradox is a necessary escape valve for them, providing both time to rebuild their depleted resources and a filter to prevent the emotional overload to which they are so susceptible as inherent "givers."

I think lots of introverted people think they are weird at one time or another or maybe their whole lives long. I've gone on vacation with 3 other women a couple of times in recent years. Everytime we come home, I tell my daughter that I'm not like everyone else. They still love me and I still fit in the group...I'm just the one who doesn't mind being left alone, likes movies that no one else gets, see things in a way that makes them look at me wide-eyed...etc.

steviewren said...

PS I took the test. I'm a INFP....moderately INF and distinctively P.

Kelly said...

First of all...congrats on the weight loss!!!

How interesting that you posted about this test! I took a similar one not long ago and planned to do a post about it myself. Me? I'm ISFJ. I've been told that they're actually quite accurate as far as things like that go. I'm sure the lengthier Myers Briggs is more so, but this kind is fun to take. I may still do the post at some point.

Kelly said...

I just looked back and the one at humanetrics is the exact test I took. Seems like I'm 10% of the population. The introverted part was my strongest which didn't surprise me. I'm often almost anti-social.

deardarl said...

Hey INFJ sister!
I've done quite a few MB tests whilst employed in various jobs and it took a while to get the one that fits me best (I always want to write a short answer to the questions and am not good with multiple choice ... ironic given the J part).... but INFJ fits me too.

Jayne said...

Yay on the weight loss :)
Wow, not having a choice until you're 15 is just cruel.

Brianna said...

I just went to the site you recommended to Ash and took the test for myself, just out of curiosity. It scored me as an INFJ too, and I was kinda shocked at that. Told Buddy about it, and all he says is, "I could've told you THAT!" So apparently, there's a little more to the results than we thought! ;)

Debby said...

That's funny Brianna. I actually thought about my kids. I knew you would be a INFJ. Not sure about Dylan, but I think that Cara might be also. Tim is in introverty to be sure, but I believe that he would be ISTP. Just a guess. It's kind of fun to guess and then have someone take the test.

Brianna said...

I know, I want Buddy to take the test, just to find out what he would be classified as, 'cuz I really don't know what he would be! He said he's probably gonna take it tonight while I'm at work, so hopefully he'll know by the time I come home tonight. I think you're dead on about Tim, based on the description on the website that I read, it sounds like it fits his personality to a T! Oh, btw, congrats on the 20 pounds! You keep losing them, and send some my way! I had actually lost half a pound at my last appointment, but the midwife said that's not too surprising given how bad my nausea has been since the get go. Poor Buddy's been cooking so many different types of meals, and a lot of them have been making me sick! It's finally settling down, so hopefully I'll start gaining some weight now that I can eat again!

Debby said...

Brianna, you can 'view my profile', and click on e-mail me, and we can send e-mails privately. Love you.

quid said...

ENFJ here. You probably could tell.

quid

Dave said...

An interesting blog Debbie. Glad you found something in the 'definition' to help you. I wonder if everyone shows up as a INFJ? - Dave

PaintedPromise said...

yahoo for the weight loss!!! i am hoping i am not far behind you :) as soon as Sept hit it has been cool enough to walk again... not walking over this hot summer had me regaining part of what i had lost dammit :(