Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Debby and her Wonderful, Awesome, Not Bad, Very Good Day

One of my favorite children's books of all time is 'Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.' The little boy's refrain through each mishap of his awful day is, "I wanna move to Australia." It makes me laugh every time that I read it, right up to the final line, "...and my mother said, 'Some days are like that...even in Australia.' " Today, I had the opposite of Alexander's day. So we shall call this 'Debby and the Wonderful, Awesome, Not Bad, Very Good Day'.

Last Thursday, we handed in our first essay in English Composition. It was an argument. I picked two opposing essays, neither of which I thought was completely accurate, and then I took a position in the middle, and provided facts to back that thinking up. The thing was that I wrote it early on, and had nothing to do but 'tweak' it. Unfortunately, I waited until the last minute to tweak it. And by the time I got around to the tweaking, well, I didn't like it. I didn't like it at all. I thought that it ended weakly. My view hadn't changed at all, but reading back over the instructions, I saw that I was supposed to pick one essay to disagree with, not two. However, I had no time to rewrite the entire paper, so I put the finishing touches on it, and fretted. I wondered if I would lose points for not following directions. And that weak ending. I tried to strengthen it, but really, it needed a complete overhaul. I printed it out, and I was unhappy. We got it back in class today. I got an A. What a relief.

Another thing that made me smile was Bill, the young man who argued with me in class. That post became a column. That column generated interest, from local teachers even to a department head at the college who used it as part of a discussion on classroom civility. You know, I was nervous about putting that out there, because this is a very conservative area, and I figured that my stance on the mosque would outrage people. It didn't though. Quite the opposite. Every e-mail I got was positive and affirmed the basic idea of it: that we all need to learn to listen. So that part was kind of nice. But anyway, I got to class early today, and I was reading a book. There was a light tap on my shoulder. "Hey, Debby!" and it was Bill, with a big smile on his face. He held up his arm, the one with the ammo on the black leather bracelet. He had been recognized. Someone saw his bracelet, and asked him if he was the fellow from the story. "I'm famous!" he laughed, and I laughed with him. It felt good to be a part of that class. We got into a discussion about video games, and I leaned over to Techno Boy who sits between Bill and I. "Of course they're bad. Look what they've done to you!" and Techno Boy laughed and screwed up his face at me.

I was nervous about the test today in Medical Specialties. The first test in any class is worrisome, until you 'figure out' the teacher. But for all my fretting, I'm pretty sure that I got an A on it though. It seemed easy enough, unless I've done something foolish. (And sometimes that happens...)

Mostly though, what I loved about today is that when I went to my classes, I was greeted by the other students. I greeted them too. I felt like I belonged, like I was a part of it.

So that was my wonderful, awesome, not bad, very good day. And you know what? I really hope that most days are like this one, no matter where you are...even in Australia!

G'Day, mates!

8 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm glad you had a good day! You deserve it to make up for feeling bad with your cold.

Scotty said...

G'day, mate to you too.

:-)

Twain12 said...

glad you had a good day too, here is hoping for many more

PaintedPromise said...

once again a day in the life... very cool to share it with you!!!

BUSH BABE said...

G'day back at ya, babe! What a great day - you sound comfy. And comfy is a really great thing... ENJOY!
:-)
BB

Mary Paddock said...

I'm glad you had a good day, Debby. Congrats on the A.

jeanie said...

Do you know that the book in Australia has the line "even in Timbuktu"?

Glad you had a good one.

Bob said...

Yes, a great day. And yes, you deserve it.