Monday, September 13, 2010

Close One

I'm feeling decidedly crappy, but, hey, after scaring the bejeebers out of myself, 'decidedly crappy' I can handle. I came downstairs this morning and I was (say it with me, people) tired. I was so flipping exhausted that I could hardly wait to get through packing Tim's lunch so that I could make my coffee. I wrapped his two sandwiches (cajun turkey breast, swiss cheese, lettuce, ketchup on nine grain bread). I put in his goodies (an apple, fruitsnacks, peach cup, and a chocolate cupcake). I put in his frozen water bottle and his one can of pepsi and his second can of caffeine free pepsi, for his afternoon break.

Then I turned to my coffee pot. It was dismantled. I didn't remember doing that, but I do remember washing the things yesterday. I unloaded the dish strainer, putting the thing back together, but the metal perforated cup was missing. Somehow, I'd managed to dump it in the trash while emptying my grounds. I couldn't imagine myself doing such a thing, but it was the only possible answer, and so I heaved a sigh and went out to bring in the garbage bag. Tim asked what I was doing, and I explained, more than a little peeved at myself. "I honestly don't even remember ripping the thing apart yesterday," I said, with the frustrated tone that only a woman deprived of caffeine could manage. And Tim said, "Well, when you were getting ready for church, I ripped it apart. I wanted to see how many watts the thing uses." (It's hell being married to Professor Potter, let me tell you. And no, I'm not talking about wizards. The reference is pre-wizard, going back to the day of flying cars and a little girl named Jem, the boy named Jeremy. Professor Potter was their inventer father. Name that book. late edit: it turns out that the professor was named Professor Potts, not 'Potter' Still though, name that book.) In any case, I looked up at Tim, still digging through the garbage. I had one thought. It didn't matter what the watt usage was of this particular appliance. I need my coffee. Ergo, the pot stays right where it is. But very carefully, I said to Tim, "So when you were dumping the grounds, do you remember what you did with the little metal cup?" He looked at me blankly. "What little metal cup?" I pointed to the piece on the counter. "The metal cup that fits inside of that. It has holes in the bottom and the coffee runs through it..." and he said, "I didn't see it." At the same time, I did see it, and triumphantly pulled it out of the trash.

Tim doesn't get it, but had this been the morning after garbage pick-up, this day would have become 'the day that would live in infamy'. Sort of.

10 comments:

Twain12 said...

OH NO...is all i have to say, hope Tim can run

Lydia said...

He is a very lucky man..... NOBODY messes with my coffee.

Hope you are feeling better!

Jayne said...

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, the only realistic book Ian Fleming wrote :P

Is Tim counting his lucky stars?!

Debby said...

No Jayne. He is not. He does not even realize what a close call this was. He gets his daily intake of caffeine via Pepsi, so to him, the coffee pot is superfluous. The only way that I could make a point about it would be if I hauled all his Pepsi out to the garbage can. Still boggles my mind that he ripped it apart to check the wattage. As if he was going to dump it, if it used too much electricity. ???? What is up with that?

quid said...

Death sentence to those who stand between me and my coffee. At least you found it. I once put my wedding and engagement rings in the bathroom wastebasket ... a sign of things to come?

quid

Hal Johnson said...

Sheesh, I'm shuddering here. I mean, this could have been the opening of a screenplay for a slasher flick.

Hope you feel better soon.

Bill of Wasilla said...

I'm trembling... just the thought!

Debby said...

I KNOW!

Kelly said...

Well, I need my milder form of caffeine each day (tea, not coffee), so I can relate somewhat.

SO glad you found it...for both of your sakes!!

The days are ticking past. You should be feeling better soon!!

PaintedPromise said...

i never did "get" that whole coffee thing... and i still won't touch "real" coffee {blech} but yeah, working 2 jobs 10 years ago, i got hooked on capuccino mix and hot chocolate... so now i think i kinda "get" it... as for Tim, isn't it funny how men just don't compute sometimes...