Sunday, August 1, 2010

Work Story

Funny Story of the Day:

Okay, so I'm working at the store and an older gentleman walks up to my counter, and I greet him cheerfully and he answers, "Hello, Baby!" I glance at him quickly because he's not the sort you'd be expecting to pop out with something like that. He looks back at me just as shocked as I was looking at him, I imagine. He stammered, "I meant to say Debby (my name is on my vest). I don't talk like that. Jees. I don't even know where that came from." And he was so embarrassed, standing there apologizing, and I felt awful for him. I guessed that what happened was that he took a look at my name tag, initially misread my name, did a quick double take, and then just blurted out the wrong thing. I don't know. Anyways, he was really embarrassed, and I do know this man, a little, from the Cancer Center, though I don't think he remembers me. The best way to describe him is 'salt of the earth'. He would no more talk to a stranger like that than my Tim would. So I looked back at him, and in an attempt to put him at ease, I blurted, "Oh, no. Please don't give it a second thought. Usually it's me coming out with something that makes me sound like a ninny." Long pause as we studied each other. My face began to turn as red as his. "Not that you sounded like a ninny," I stammered. "I don't know where that came from..." Bless his heart. He was still laughing as he went out the door.

Ay yi yi.

12 comments:

Twain12 said...

great story LOL

steviewren said...

Great "foot in mouth" story! Been there, done that.

Kelly said...

At least you put him at ease!

Bill of Wasilla said...

Oh, Baby! This story is just too good!

Oh, dear! Did I just call you "baby?"

Now I am embarrassed.

Oh, no! Did I call you "dear," too?

Dear, dear, Baby!

Good grief, it just keeps getting worse.

I am as red as red can be.

Caroline said...

LOL

Mikey said...

Lol, insert foot in mouth!! Great story, made me smile :)

Bob said...

Too funny. The good news is you both saw the humor in it and there should be no resultant lawsuit for any kind of harrassment.

Lydia said...

:} Love that O.o You are too funny.

Debby said...

Bill? Only person with that has more feet in his mouth than me is you. LOL.

jeanie said...

ha ha ha - I once had an older gent call me "honey" on the phone - it was a business call, so I responded with "darling" on the return comment. He cracked up - he'd never thought that being called a diminuitive was that effective...

Dave said...

Debbie, a nice snippet of life in your short story. I love it! :-) - Dave

PaintedPromise said...

great story... made me smile!!