Saturday, August 7, 2010

Weekend

Tim and I have had a rough time of things, and although we have gotten back on the same page, things are not yet back to normal. Not really. We are careful and kind to each other. We extend small gestures of love. We have not, however, had a lot of time. Tim's job has over an hour commute each way, each day, in addition to the eight hours there. My last job was at a 24 hour store, so I was getting home late. We were both too weary to really focus on each other. But, again, things have changed. Tim now has a day job. He's not so tired. My new job at the Tractor Supply is nice too. Since the store closes at 8:00, I am home by 8:30, so Tim and I have a hour or so to visit before we go to bed. (His alarm goes off at 4:45 AM). In spending the time with my husband, I realize how much I have missed him, and how far we have drifted in the past few months.

We have this weekend off. Both of us. The whole entire weekend. I can't remember the last time that happened. I felt like a child on the first day of summer vacation when I left work last night. I got home and Tim had made popcorn. We shared a glass of ice water, and we talked. We went to bed, still talking. We were still talking when we turned out the lights, and in the darkness, my hand traced the familiar curve of his jaw. I've missed that, the quiet intimacy of marriage. We read the paper together this morning, talking about the news while he ate his cheerios, while I drank my coffee. These small rituals happen each and every day. I know them by heart, but usually I drink my coffee alone, after he's eaten his cheerios and left for work. Or, vice versa, on the weekends. He's gone to take care of a small chore at one of the apartments, but he'll be back shortly. We have the afternoon to do as we please. We have the evening to do as we please. We have tomorrow to worship together, because it pleases us to do so. And then, we'll have Sunday stretched long before us, waiting to be filled with the quiet things of our lives. Monday will come. It always does, but we've got a weekend to re-discover the small pleasures of our marriage, of our life together.

*contented sigh*

14 comments:

Lydia said...

This is a good season to be in. Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

That is so wonderful to hear, time alone with the one you love only makes it grow. wishing you a great week end, just growing back to where you once were and surpassing it to greater love.

Pam said...

What a lovely and inspirational post!!! I leave my computer to do my Saturday chores with a smile on my face!! Enjoy your weekend together!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Savor it.

Ash said...

A beautiful post.. I've been away from my sweetheart for nearly 4 months now and can't wait to meet him to experience the simple joy of just being together :)

Kelly said...

I'm glad you're getting this weekend together. Enjoy!

Pencil Writer said...

Sweet post. Like a refreshing rain. Enjoy! (I know you both are.)

Scotty said...

Good stuff, Debby. Sometimes, as adults, we forget that we need a little bit of intimate time together, away from bills and kids and work and obligations. I've found that instead of planning for big things, something as simple as a tent, a meal you can cook in one skillet, and a campfire, can do wonders.

Roland said...

nice

Jayne said...

What a wonderful time for you both, hope there weren't too many interruptions and you had good weather to do whatever you wanted.

Cheryl Radford said...

Debby, proof that life is about the simple things. Amazing how beautiful life is when it is love filled.
God Bless you and keep you in His care.
May you continue to enjoy the simple things in life with Tim xo

Dave said...

I understand your stress Debby. The current economic situation is causing family stresses all over the world. Take those moments when you can and really savour them. You deserve them. - Dave

Bob said...

This is beautiful. Just beautiful.

Hal Johnson said...

Debby, I'm not going to even try to come up with anything original. Instead, I'm going to echo Bob. This post was just beautiful.