Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Today at the Tractor Supply

So today, I was setting out some clearance shoes. We've got some great deals on Ariats and men's boots. So, I was setting out these boots, and one thing caught my eye. We had two pair of Carhartt workboots. Marked down to $19.99. Originally probably a hundred dollar boot. We only had two pair of the discontinued style. One pair size 12 and another in size 13. I don't know anyone with feet that big, and it's a darn shame too. I do so love a good bargain. So I was working the register and a man and his teenaged grandson came in. I looked at the boy. "What size shoe do you wear?" I asked. He looked surprised and said, "Size 12." "Okay, now listen. Over on that rack right there, we've got a couple pairs of Carhartt workboots. One pair is size 12. They're closing out that style. We've got two pair left and they have just been marked down to $19.99." His grandpa looked over at him quickly. "Do you have your boots for hunting?" he asked. And the boy said, "Not yet." Grandpa said, "Don't ring me up. Let's go look at those boots, boy," and off they went. Soon they were back at the counter, the boy holding a boot box. "How'd those feel on your feet?" I asked. And the boy said, with a big smile, "Good. They feel good." Grandpa bought the boots for him and the boy went out of the store holding that box, talking excitedly to his grandfather. You could tell those boots meant a lot to the boy. You could tell that buying those boots for his grandson meant a lot to grandpa. The whole darn thing made my day.

15 comments:

BUSH BABE said...

What a saleswoman! I love that you get such a buzz out of matching up people and product... perfect!
:-)
BB

Mrs.Spit said...

Mr. Spit! Mr. Spit wears that size! But they went to a great home!

Donna said...

That would make my day too. I love Tractor Supply; I wish it was closer.

WhiteStone said...

Great Job!

Kelly said...

Wonderful! I'd love to have you as my personal shopper!

steviewren said...

Job well done!

My youngest son wears a 14 in tennis shoes. His two brothers have big feet too, but not that big.

Dave said...

Just one of the JOYS of dealing with the public Debby, huh - Dave

Debby said...

Oh, I love people, Dave. Really. Everyone has a story, and I love to hear them. Mrs. Spit. Send me your number and the next time I see a deal like that, I'll call you straightaway, and you can drive from...uh...where do you live anyway? Isn't it Saskatchewan? (and yes. I had to look up the correct spelling). And you can stay at my house and...what? Surely, Mr. Spit could see the sense in buying a nice pair of boots at a very good price. They are, after all, for him. Kelly: you'd probably not like me as your personal shopper. I'd always be telling you why you did not need it.

jeanie said...

Heck - can you open a shop over here? You could come and work here also, and I know someone who could handle the size 13s.

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

Nice sale, Debby! It would have made my day too.

Hey, I am returning to the work force. I accepted a part-time cashier position at True Value :-)

Mikey said...

Awww, that's so great! Perfect!!!
I love how you see the world. I always liked working places like that, the interaction with folks. You can really makes a persons day and it's so much fun!!!

quid said...

A good turn for that boy, Debby. I'm back. Think I've licked my wounds for long enough and should be blogging again. I'm hoping inspiration hits me.

quid

Bob said...

Makes my day, too. Sounds like something my dad would have done for my son. He was the cheapest man ever created yet was total putty in the hands of my children, especially my oldest. My youngest wears a size 12 --- wish I could have snatched those up for him!

PaintedPromise said...

no way Jeanie, she is opening a store HERE!!!!!!! did ya hear that Mikey????? we seriously talked about it on our trip...

and Deb, i wish you'd have told me this story on our trip, i didn't see it before we left... and then you could have seen the tears in my eyes in person. what a GREAT story!!!!!

Lori said...

Well, that simple story made me cry!