Thursday, August 12, 2010

Bill

I worked today. Left from work and went to the funeral of my friend. The church was packed. It seems impossible to think that I'm not going to see him again. My words for his family? Bill was a good, good man who loved God, who loved his family, who loved his church, and the world is a better place for that. Probably the funniest thing, which made us laugh and cry at the same time was when someone said, "He was such a tall, tall man. But you know, even if he were short, we'd have all looked up to Bill."

Somehow it felt as if I glimpsed eternity as I listened to the bell toll as it has tolled for countless others since our church's beginnings in 1865. I can't explain it any better than that. When the service was over, although the people there are dear to me, I did not stay for the meal. I wanted to be alone. I wanted to remember my good friend. So I walked to my car and as I drove up route 62, a bald eagle soared out in front of my car, the bright white of his head and tail catching the sun as he lifted higher and higher on powerful wing strokes. I watched him until he was out of my sight. At Bill's funeral, it had been read: 'But they that wait on the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.' Seeing that eagle made me smile.

Well, I best finish packing. We're heading out in a couple hours. In a few hours, I'll be meeting Susan and her husband Randy for the first time, although we've been online friends for as long as I have had a blog. I'm looking forward to this day trip very much.

11 comments:

Kelly said...

I hope your trip is everything you expect and more!

Have a safe journey....

Twain12 said...

have a save and good trip and i'm sorry to hear about your friend

BUSH BABE said...

Have fun with Susan!!!
And I think your moment reflecting with Bill's eagle was beautiful... something I would do. I always feel so much closer to go when I am in the open...
:-)
BB

BUSH BABE said...

And that should have read GOD, not go. But you can see where I was coming from, right? :-)

WhiteStone said...

Have a fun time as you travel to visit blog friends! A day trip should be refreshing...as long as you stop somewhere for soft-serve ice cream.

rhubarbwhine said...

What a beautiful post. you comments about Bill, and the eagle, were very moving for me. Have a wonderful time with your friends, and enjoy every minute. I know you will.

quid said...

I cannot go to the buffets or dinners after a funeral. Somehow that European custom at death seems just barbaric to me, kinda like the open casket and kissing the dead body.... I think those feelings stem from a particularly bad experience when my grandmother died when I was 10.

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend Bill.

I am quite taken that you are going to meet a blog friend. We may not have shared, but Pam, Kelly, Marion and I met on a writing site some 7 years ago. We got together in 2008. It was great fun. You enjoy!

Jayne said...

(((hugs))) The eagle was certainly lifting spirits.

Pam said...

Have a safe and fun trip!!!!

I loved the comment about "looking up to Bill".

Bob said...

A wonderful tribute to Bill and the eagle definitely sealed the deal. Hope the trip is fun!

Lydia said...

I'm so glad you could be there to support Bill's family. It really means a lot for people to come to funerals and know that their loved one was loved by many.

I hope you have a safe, wonderful, refreshing trip!