Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Perfect Day

It was a very nice day today. I got some housework done, laundry, the like. Not as much as I should have gotten done, but I'm slowly but surely catching up. I had to go to Jamestown for a drug test for the new job. I guess it's been a while since I've done that. Gosh. There are a whole darn lotta rules. The woman told me that if she heard water running, or the toilet flush, it was all over right there. The test would not be sent off. I was kind of mystified. I said, "Well, how do I wash my hands when I'm done?" She told me that I could go back in after handing off my sample. Very strange. If you are not a drug user, all the little rules just seem sort of silly, but the lab has come to learn all the little cheating tricks, I guess.

Anyhow, I stopped in with the paperwork to give it to my new employer, and had a nice visit. This is going to be a happy place to work, I think. Then I was in the car again, and headed to the nearby town of Youngsville, to pick up our computer from the shop. And then it was over to pay the electric bill, pick up some cleaning supplies from the dollar store. I popped in to see Mary and Danny, in the middle of extensive renovations to their 'new' house, which is actually Danny's childhood home. It's going to look great. You can see that already. They've got a couple Amish men doing the work.

I washed dishes while Mary zipped around setting the rest of the kitchen to rights. Of course, the blabbing was nonstop. I'd come there to ask a question. Mary is very wise, and she gives good counsel. It just seems so friendly to work alongside someone, to know where things go without asking. To be able to finish each other's sentences, sometimes. After a short visit there, I headed back down off the hill to my own hill, stopping in the valley in between to pick up a few groceries. And then I was out the door again, with a lease for our new tenant to sign, and to meet up with friends to attend an exhibit of paintings done by the child of other friends. Of course we ran into even more people to talk to, and so we did. Laughing and telling jokes. This exhibit was at the library. On the way out, I stopped, as I always do, to check out the books for sale. I got Pat Conroy's 'Beach Music'. Although I had not cared much for 'South of Broad', I figured that since he's such a renowned author, maybe I should give him another try. Since the book was on sale for a mere dollar, well, what the hey. I also saw a Salmon Rushdie book, 'The Ground beneath Her Feet', and I was tempted, even though I'd plowed through it once already. That book is a record for me. It took me several weeks to read it, and I had to renew it twice. It's never taken me so long to read a book. Ever. It was only a dollar as well, but I knew that I would not read that book again, and so it would be a waste. But then I saw a set of books, the Ainsworth Novels, historic romance novels from the early 1900s, and I wanted them. There were seven of them at 50 cents each. When I went up to pay for them, the librarian said, "Oh, just give me two dollars for them." I stood there shocked. "They're old," she said. Like it was a bad thing. So I bought an armload of books, and spent $3. Walking to my car, talking with Karen and Kathy, I said, "You know girls, if I go home, I'll have to clean house. And like the good friends that they are, we got cold drinks and took an hour and a half walk around town admiring the old homes, and talking about how lucky we are to live in our quiet little corner of the world. The crescent moon followed us where ever we went, and the lightning bugs twinkled.

Now I'm home, and I'm not cleaning house. I'm going to bed to read, to curl up with my old novels. I can clean house tomorrow.

7 comments:

WhiteStone said...

I keep forgetting! Thanks for the reminder! I need to hit our library for their book sale shelf!!!

Your day sounded lovely indeed!

Chez said...

Debby congratulations on your new job [have just caught up with previous post] and it seems that things continue to go well for you. There is justice in this world! I am so happy for you.

Caroline said...

It seems your life is going in the right direction and you are having a good time. Great news on the new job as well.

Lori said...

I'm drooling over your book find!
Sounds like a wonderful day!!

PaintedPromise said...

when it comes to cleaning house, there is ALWAYS tomorrow! that's my philosophy lol.

Bill of Wasilla said...

I was listening to a story on NPR about Leo Tolstoy. I thought I should make War and Peace the next book that I read.

I jokes.

These days, it is a struggle to even read the comics.

That's what the internet has done to me.

Kelly said...

Yay on the book purchases!!!