Thursday, July 8, 2010

Nothing Much

Oh, so much excitement here I scarcely know where to begin. Our computer picked up AV Suite, something that touts itself as being a security program. It took over our new computer and rendered it useless. This within 24 hours of installing the latest McAfee. So our computer is sitting in Youngsville at our computer guru's place. He's got another computer with the same problem, and he says the thing is a pain to get off the computer.

We're in the process of renting out another apartment. This one has great meaning to me, because it was the one that Tim and I were working on when I found out I had cancer. It sort of got put on the backburner for a while as we dealt with everything else. Now it's finished, finally, and somehow that seems kind of like a big deal to me, personally.

Tim bought a new (to us, anyway) car. I'd been worried about him driving back home in the night after his second shift job. The trip home takes him through some real remote country, with no cell phone service. The car he's been driving has 200,000 miles on it. I've been worried. He was driving down the street and found a car, a 2002, with 59,000 miles on it. The girl was very nervous about the car. She'd lost her license and a family friend had borrowed it and put it in the ditch. To Tim's eye, the damage was cosmetic. A new bumper cover, and a light cover. To the girl, this was major damage. She tried to take $500 off the price. Tim split the difference with her, because he felt bad for her. She only wanted $2000 for it to begin with. What kind of car is it? It's a Mustang.

Other breaking news? Tim got a day job. He was shocked spitless over that. It will make life a lot easier for him. He was not fond of second shift, but so glad to have a job again, he was not about to complain about the small stuff. So that is nice.

I haven't gotten my grade from Anatomy and Physiology yet, but I did get a very nice certificate for making the Dean's list this past spring. Tim wants to frame it. I told him no and stuck it in my desk drawer. I'm thrilled with that little piece of paper, but it's something that will simply look like bragging hanging on a wall.

I finished 'South of Broad'. I did not like it all that much. It was brutal and ugly and mean, and I really felt that a great deal of it was simply not believable, but I slogged through it and the ending was well written. I treated myself to a book. I'm reading 'Sea Glass', and it seems like it will be a pleasant read.

It has been scorchingly hot here. One of those times when simply getting out of bed and making your way down stairs in the morning causes you to break into a sweat. A fellow came into the store today, and bought himself a cola. He said, "I've got a terrible caffeine headache from not drinking any caffeine today. I need to drink this soda before my wife catches me." We discussed the weather for a few minutes as we waited for his check to process, and he commented that he had been miserably hot working outside all day. He then said, "My wife would tell me it is because I'm overweight and out of shape." I looked square at him and said, "You know what you tell your wife? You tell her you saw skinny people all over the place today, and they were sweating just as badly as you were." He liked that and laughed hard. As he headed out of the door, I did say to him, "You know, it sounds like you're scared to death of your wife," and he got wide eyed. "Oh, yeah. That woman terrifies me." He made me laugh. Some day, I imagine that I'll meet his wife. I'll bet she's just the sweetest thing ever.

When I went out the door to work today, I was thinking about Lydia, who's left comments here. Her last one mentioned that she was going on a mission trip. I was thinking to mention in a post that I'd like her to e-mail me. I wanted to hear about her trip. I got home from work tonight, and there was an e-mail waiting for me from Lydia. I was so happy. Lydia, you made my day.

On that bright note, I'm going to brush my teeth and head off to bed to read a while before Tim gets home. Goodnight, peoples!

18 comments:

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

Your post sounds upbeat; glad to hear that rhythm in your words.

Chez said...

Debby, this is certainly a 'good news' post. One exception seems to be the reading of the 'much awaited' new book. Sorry South of Broad was a disappointment.
Keep on keeping on.

Lori said...

Glad Tim has day shift now, and congrats on the "new" car. Sounds like an excellent deal! Our desktop got hit with that AV thing. I had to go into safe mode and run Malwarebytes to find and remove it. It is usable now, but I still want to get it wiped and have everything re-installed. So far the laptops haven't been hit with anything. I use Avira Anti-virus. Every computer geek I know says to stay away from McAfee.

Twain12 said...

glad things are going well ♥

Jayne said...

Yay on the good news with Tim's job and the Mustang :)

Bob said...

Tim sounds like one of the most decent guys one could ever meet. I hope I would be as kind to a person selling her car -- only going half on the part she wanted to take off. So glad to hear he's on days now. Things might be looking up????

Of course Tim's married to a great girl -- Dean's List, no less, and works her little fanny off. Go get that certificate out of the drawer and frame it!

Hot as hades here too, but think the Northeast has borne the brunt of it which I guess is unusual. We need to go back to our blogs from winter when we were complaining about the cold . . .

BUSH BABE said...

Proud of you!!!
:-)
BB

Lydia said...

So glad that Tim got the day shift! I hope you get a good renter in that apartment -- you know, one that will take care of it and stay for a few years (maybe even pay rent on time?)!

Thanks for the shout out -- when we get our info together I'll send a link from our missions trip. It was an astounding experience for all of us filled with divine connections.

Debby said...

Bob ~ sometimes people are desperate, you know? This girl had made obviously poor life decisions, and seemed hell bent on continuing to make them, but you don't profit off desperate people, not in our book. Sometimes we hear landlords saying things like: "You don't want to fix a place up too nicely...'they'll' just ruin it. Or once we listened to a Christian telling us how we could always manage to keep the deposit, or most of it anyway. Just because it was legal to work things that way doesn't mean it was moral to do so. We are very blessed. We try to remember that what we are doing is sharing those blessings. That is honestly the way we see things. That is honestly the way we try to be in this world. We are Christians. We believe that it is the answer to that age old question. WWJD? He would never exploit the less fortunate. Never.

steviewren said...

Sorry about the computer virus. I hope you get that resolved soon. Nice about the car. Sorry about the book. I've been reading The Ladies #1 Detective Agency but Alexander McCall Smith. This is the 3rd one for me. You might like them.

Kelly said...

Good news about the car AND the day shift! Bad, though, about the computer virus. Hope that is cleared up soon.

Sorry that the book was disappointing, too.

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb Congratulations on the Dean's list certif. It is so good to hear your's and Tim's good news and hope you get good tenants. You both surely deserve them. I totally agree with you and Tim on the car deal and hope the car goes well for him too.
I use AVG latest version and have done for a couple of years. I update it every time I go online and have never had a problem with it. I also use Lavasoft AdAware plus and Spybot Search and Destroy about once a week (or less) and all goes so smoothly - fingers crossed! You can get free versions of them all to try but they are really inexpensive compared to Norton and McAfee. Both the latter gave me grief and wanted to take over everything and were total pains so I keep well away from them. The above have got a lot of internet clutter off the HD for me and have picked up a few viruses and stopped them. I also block cookies on the whole and choose what I will let through.

Anyway, ggod luck with your comp and hope you have it running again soon. All the best to you and Tim Barb x

Jayne said...

Thought of you today out in the country when a Mustang roared past on the highway.
I mentally waved "Hi Tim and Deb!" lol.

Scotty said...

He got a Mustang? Ooh, green-eyed monster just bit me.

:-)

jeanie said...

Hey Deb - so sorry your book turned out to be not all you had anticipated - but so glad you got the relaxation to find out!

BUSH BABE said...

PS GReat to hear Tim's good news (fingers crossed it all goes according to plan and he ENJOYS that Mustang!).
:-)
BB

quid said...

Good for Tim (car and job). I hate to tell you but I did one stint with MacAfee, and lost my computer to a virus 5 months later. Back to Norton and haven't had any problems since. Of course, I also stopped using any IM programs, which I think are sieves for viruses.

quid

PaintedPromise said...

hhmmm my husband has a wife like that ;)