Wednesday, July 14, 2010

New Job

It's no secret that my job at the gas station is not going well. It's a mean place, a complaining place, a back biting place. I don't like it much, and I've been very unhappy. A customer came to the store the other day and mentioned that he was looking for help. I was on that like a big dog on a bone. "Pick me," I said. "I'm begging." He told me to stop by and talk to him the following afternoon and so I did. He hired me on the spot. They are looking for 'stellar' customer service. He wanted an example of what I considered 'stellar'. I mentioned making a pot of flavored coffee on Saturday, even though we don't offer them, generally speaking. The self same thing that made my coworker so angry at me, made this manager very happy. And THEN....a cashier walked into the office. She looked at me and knew who I was. I was the one who stopped what I was doing to get the keys to the shed. I ran out to bring in sweet tea for her, since there was none in the refrigerator. I had pumped gas for yet another employee the previous night, and she remembered that she was quite shocked to see an older woman pumping gas (ouch.) and she was amazed that I was so cheerful as I waited on her. I guess that what goes around comes around. I try very hard to be a polite person, to avoid mean-ness. It's been a rough few months, but when I walked out of my new place of employment, I was shaking hands, and everyone seemed so glad to have me on board. Everyone was so cheerful, and we all joked. This is such a huge relief to me, I cannot even tell you.

I left there and headed to 'porch-sit' with my friend Karen. She's got a lovely front porch that you can sit on, and call out to people as they walk by, with their dogs or by themselves. They stop to exchange a few pleasant words. In between visiting with the walkers, we visited with each other, or watched the birds, as I petted the cats who leapt onto my lap. Her little Yorkie stood expectantly at my feet so I lifted him up as well, and he curled up beside me, giving me something to pet in between cats. It was a peaceful night with a good friend. I was so very content there. I think I could have sat there the entire evening. But, I had work to do at home, and so reluctantly, I got up and left the 'porch of dreams', and headed home. I want a front porch. I have a back deck, but I haven't even gotten that set up yet. I've made up my mind to do it today. There will be no walkers going by, but I can swing on the porch swing, and read a book, and listen to the birds and the sounds of the woods. If a bear strolls by, or a deer, maybe, I'll call out in a cheerful way. They'll bolt and head the other way. It will be just like Karen's front porch, only different.

12 comments:

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

Congratulations on your new job!

Bill of Wasilla said...

I remember porches like that. We don't have them, up here. I especially like the part where the cat leaps onto your lap. Congratulations on your new job.

Mikey said...

Congrats on the new job, although I will miss the gas station stories :)
As for the porch, it's my favorite thing to sit out there petting dogs and watching the cows come in. Life doesn't get any better than that as far as I'm concerned. It makes the world all right to sit on the porch and visit :)

Scotty said...

Congrats on the new job, Debby - good things come to those who wait, yes?

:-)

Lori said...

Congratulations on the new job!! Being nice does pay off!

Twain12 said...

how wonderful, sometimes life is good, congratulations

Lydia said...

Oh my goodness, I am so glad that you are getting into a new job. After all that you and Tim have gone through, I'm so glad that you both are getting into work that isn't H.E.double-toothpicks. yea for you!

Jayne said...

That is fantastic news, congrats, Debby :)

BUSH BABE said...

Oh thank GOODNESS Deb. What will you be doing (descriptions please) in this new role? Sounds like Fate stepping in, doesn't it?

*hugs*
BB

PaintedPromise said...

YAHOO on the new job... and WOOHOO on the porch... i finally got my mostly cleaned of junk, and got a couple comfy lounge chairs from a friend who is moving... now all i need is weather that is not 114 at 6pm!!!

Bob said...

Great news about the job. I'm so happy for you and Tim on the employment front.

I'm a little behind on my blog reading so good to catch up.

Kelly said...

I'm really glad to read this post. Congratulations on the new job!!