Saturday, July 31, 2010

Mish Mash

It's early in the morning, and cool. A wonderful break from the hot and humid weather we've been having.

People bring their dogs into the store, and I'm really enjoying petting a dog again. It almost makes me wish... Nah. No. Huh-uh.

Tim got his new car inspected. He drove me down so that we could pick up the car. I got home and in the driveway. "Tim?" I asked. "Do you smell brakes burning?" I thought it was me. He says he thinks it's the new car. The fun never ends, people. Really.

Other than that, not a lot to report. The grandbaby's heartbeat is posted on line. It is an amazing moment, the first time you hear that, and I remember vividly, hearing the heartbeats of my own three for the first time. Where have the years gone?

Folding laundry, and I came up with an amazing thought: all of those 'economic indicators'. We can do away with them. What do people do when the times are hard? They put off buying underwear. Nobody sees them but the person you love, and they love you even if your underwear is shot. So you save those pennies. And then life gets easier, you have money rolling in again, and what's the first thing you do once you decide that you're on solid footing again? You buy a package of Hanes. You walk around in new and comfortable underwear and you feel like a million bucks. So I say that all our government has to do is take a look at underwear stock. Are women buying underwear again? Then our economy is on the upswing.

(Note: you can not use Victoria's Secret as an indicator. There are too many men who buy the stuff in bulk because they've seen Angelina Jolie or Jennifer Anniston looking good in stuff like that. It's got to be the practical cotton panties that practical working women buy for themselves.)

That's it really. Gotta get ready for work.

11 comments:

Chez said...

The problem with 'common' sense Deb is that it is not common any more. You make so much sense. Just about to put a load of whites [bonds cottontails] in the washer. xo

Bob said...

Yes, Debby, you said a mouthful. When we hear all the bad news, e.g. the "economic indicators," it magnifies to much that really doesn't need/have to be magnified.

A good friend of mine espouses the principal, "Live like nobody else so you can live like nobody else." I like that.

Buddha46203 said...

Sorry mom but I got to do it I feel the irresistible urge to brag . So as such I must post a link to the baby's heart beat because it is my goal to have everyone in cyberspace... And the greater Indianapolis area hear it.

http://www.filefreak.com/files/194613_ty3gx/babysheartbeat.mp3

Mrs. Spit said...

I had a fun and wonderful economics class on some of the stranger indicators (leading and lagging) of economic times. There is, in fact, an underwear index - the purchase of men's underwear (and only men's)decreases during times of recession.

You can read about it here.
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/mens-underwear-index.asp

Roland said...

For most men, nice (or new) underwear is a luxury.

Debby said...

Um. Well, Roland...without embarrassing myself, you and me? We've got something in common. *coff*

Buddy? Yes. Feel free. Should have done it myself. I forgot that I could. Not all that clever.

Mrs. Spit ~ Really, somebody's thought this great thought before me? And only men? Really? Way to rain all on my parade, sister.

Bob ~ Tim is a great fan of Dave Ramsey. This sounds like something I'd hear from either one of them.

Kelly said...

I will say this....VS cotton underwear lasts for years and years and years! Take my word for it!!

p.s. Go visit the animal shelter. You'll be doing a good deed AND making yourself happy!

Jayne said...

Yes, men always think they'll look just like Angelina or Jennifer in that lingerie for the lack of a sales assistant to put them straight... :P

steviewren said...

Hmmmm, mine are looking pretty shabby.

Dave said...

A very prctical way to tell if the economy is lifting Debbie. Ha ha. Good one. Oh, I listened to Bub's heartbeat too. Sounds nice and strong! - Dave

Mary Paddock said...

Replacing everyone else's underwear (and socks) always comes before mine. The men in my house are hard on undergarments. My socks can be bought at the thrift store; the other stuff has to last a lot longer. The economy has nothing to do with this. However, in a strange way, it makes sense as the over all economic crisis has only touched us in a marginal way. We're kind of used to living on a shoe string.