Tuesday, July 20, 2010

An Instant

Today, on the way to work, a woman pulled out in front of me. She had a stop sign, and I think she must have thought it was a four way stop. It was not. That's the only explanation that I can think of because she pulled out directly in front of me. I slammed on the brakes and swung wide, going completely off the road but stopping before I went into the ditch. Traffic stopped all around us, and the people in the parking lot of a local produce store stood gaping. The woman and I exchanged terrified gazes for a moment, and then she drove on. I'm telling you, I was so scared, I had to sit there a minute, with my face in my hands to regain my composure. I think that someone from the produce store was headed to me, but I was so shaken that I was afraid that I'd burst into tears if someone tried to be kind, so I smiled at them and continued on my way. When I got to work and got out of the car, I was surprised to find that my legs were shaking and my hands trembled violently as I pumped gas.

As I walked into work, I thought the thought that I have thought repeatedly in the last couple years: "Cripes. Life can change in an instant, can't it?"

13 comments:

Kelly said...

I guess the woman must have assumed you and your vehicle were both okay since she drove on. Seems to me she should have gotten out to check on you.

Yes, it only takes a blink of an eye.....

Debby said...

I don't think she meant to be unkind. She was just embarrassed, I think. Since there had been no accident, she'd have no reason to assume that I was not okay.

Lori said...

So glad you the time to react.

Mrs. Spit said...

yes, it really can.

Jayne said...

I reckon she was embarrassed, too, but wow, not a nice surprise.

Ash said...

Yipes.. it sure can.. So glad you are ok..

thetallredhead said...

I had the same thing yesterday. I had a car tailgating me and then it overtook and a truck and was there was car coming in the opposite direction. The other car was so lucky that there was a verge on the side of the road that it could pull off onto while it was still going. Apart from being so bloody dangerous and stupid, it wasnt just him he put at risk..if the car hadnt been able to pull off they would have hit, the truck would have been involved and I would have had no hope of getting out of it. Stupidity that could have killed 7 people. I was so angry that I got the number plate and rang the police and had them come after him and pull him over, I was happy to make a statement about his driving. I have 3 kids and one idiot driver could have cost them their mother...not to mention the other people that would have been involved.

Mary Paddock said...

Scary stuff. I'm very glad nothing more serious happened. I had Rainbow Appliances truck run me off the road in a rural area a few years ago. He came over the top of a steep hill half in my lane and hit the horn like I was the one in the wrong place. I ran into the ditch and he sped on without pausing. It scared me to death (shook all the way home). For the rest of the years I drove that road, I remembered to slow down in that spot, both going and coming.

jeanie said...

Moments like that, Debbie, and you remember to count the blessings of each moment, hey?

One of my jobs this week was at a Funeral Home - and on the way there, I nearly met a prospective client for them - or rather, the oncoming traffic nearly had that pleasure as he overtook me.

Twain12 said...

glad it turned out well...sending hugs

deardarl said...

in a word: yes.
So glad you are OK. Hugs.

quid said...

Glad you lived to tell the tale, my dear. One incident like this sure shakes the equilibrium, does it not?

quid

PaintedPromise said...

YIKES i know that feeling... shaky legs and stomach, and one does NOT want to think of what MIGHT have just happened...

so glad you had time to get out of the way, we can NOT lose our Debby!!!!!