Sunday, July 25, 2010

Another Sunday

Tornados came through north of us. We were not affected, not really, although the road was washed out just over the New York State line. This affects Tim since this is the way he goes to work. So we drove up to take a look. The water is too much for the drainage pipes, and the force of it simply washed the road away.


Good news! The road crew has been working long and hard, and expects the road to be passable tomorrow morning. This makes Tim darn glad. It is his first day on first shift, and he does not want to be late.


Walking along the road, we met Gabby. Doesn't she have a sweet face? She's handicapped. She was hit by a car, and her leg had to be amputated. She was adopted by people who had just had their old dog euthanized. I thought about my old Buck, and I cried a little. You know, I do not want another pet. I'm not ready, and to be honest, I'm not sure I ever will be again. I'm glad that Gabby's people felt differently. All parties seemed very happy.
Geese. We went to Washington Park. This is the city of Warren. Look at how muddy the Allegheny River is. Water is high.
Tim and I like to daydream. This is our latest daydream. Wouldn't this be a great place for wedding receptions? Really?
Lots of parking.
It's just a daydream, I imagine, but it's fun to walk along with your husband daydreaming about the possibilties. Impossibilities, too.
This is Queen Anne's Lace. It was named for Anne Boleyn, and according to the story that I heard when I was still a young child, it is so called because the flower resembles lace; the red flower in the center represents a blood droplet where Queen Anne pricked herself with a needle when she was making the lace. The function of the tiny red flower, coloured by anthocyanin, is to attract
insects. Strangely enough, in the UK, this is called Bishop's Lace, not Queen Anne's lace. Despite the fanciful names, really and truly, when you get right down to it, this is simply wild carrot.

15 comments:

steviewren said...

WooHoo! Pictures! But you forgot the words.

Twain12 said...

great pictures and really like the brick building too

Twain12 said...

Oh and Gabby is sweet :)

Caroline said...

Sometimes a nice normal day is the best. That does look like a great place for a wedding!

Bob said...

You are loving that camera, huh? I'm loving see your photos! Beautiful!

Great to daydream . . . the world needs more dreamers.

Kelly said...

I like it when you do "photojournal" entries! This was great!

steviewren said...

I get the connection between the pictures now that I can read your commentary. Yes, I agree with you and Tim. That house would make a great backdrop for weddings.

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

I haven't been up to Washington Park in a while; nice picture!

Redlefty said...

For a lady who professes to take sucky pictures you take pretty nice pictures.

Chez said...

Debby I am with you and Tim. Maybe the daydream could become a reality! You a Marriage Celebrant! The venue is perfect!
Love the pics

Jayne said...

Love the photos, they're great :)
That Queen Anne's/Bishop's Lace is very pretty, that name is far prettier than garden variety Wild Carrot ;)

quid said...

Great photos and a really great place for a wedding...

quid

BUSH BABE said...

Anyone ever tell you that you take GREAT photos... and tell a lovely story. Dream away, my friend. You gotta dream about the destination before you know which direction to start walking. And sometimes just dreaming is journey enough.
:-)
BB

Bill of Wasilla said...

It's nice to see that I am rubbing off on you.

I just got off the Yukon and it was running high, too, to the detriment of the local diet. It was brown, too - but then it is always brown, except for when it's white.

My heart goes out to Gabby and the people who are giving her a good life. I had a dog once that ended up with only three legs. Very sad story. Maybe someday I will tell it.

Keep shooting! I looked at some of those pictures and I could tell that you creative juices had been flowing and you had been having fun.

Lori said...

And if I remember correctly, Queen Anne's lace always made me itch as a child when I added to my wildflower bouquets which I presented to my mother periodically through the late summer.