Monday, June 28, 2010

Tonight my Heart Stopped

We've got a new computer in the livingroom. It hooks me up to the world wide wonder of you folks, but it does not have a printer. It is not compatible with our printer, and well...money's been tight, etc. etc. *mumble, mutter* So we have the old computer in the back bedroom. That is my writing computer. It is hooked up to a printer. It is not, however, hooked up to the internet. Being old, it does not have the wireless capabilities that the new computer in the livingroom has. In any case, I spent a long meaningful day with my old computer today, painstakingly typing up my lab report. Eight pages worth of cardiac function. Calculations. Data. Graphs. The whole ball o' wax. Padding out to the internet computer to research things, I'd have to write it out longhand and then pad back into the old computer to incorporate it into my computer. Finally, finally it was done. Long past my bedtime, but it was done, and with a huge relieved sigh, I hit print. And nothing happened. I waited. Nothing. I started to get a little nervous at the Program Not Responding message. I took a deep breath. I didn't want to close it because I had not (stupidly) saved the document yet. My heart sank. Finally, I had no choice but to end the program, and so I did, praying like you would not believe. I brought Word Pad back up, and there was nothing. NOTHING! I have to admit, there was swearing. I was in the middle of cardiac arrest when I realized that I'd done the document on Word Perfect. I brought that program back up. By then my hands were shaking, and I was sick to my stomach. A little message popped up on my screen which said that the program had not shut down properly when it was previously used, and that I needed to create a back up file for my document. It was there. It was all there! Oh thank God! It was all there. The printer gave me fits, and I ended up printing the darn thing out three times, but I got it. It is past midnight, and the thing is done.

I have the final lab practical on Wednesday. The lecture final on Thursday. Then I am done. I'm done. I know I'm babbling. I need to go to bed.

13 comments:

Mrs.Spit said...

Thinking of you and the old computer joke about Jesus saves.
http://www.computerjokes.net/128.asp
Glad your report wasn't lost.

steviewren said...

What a relief! My heart was stopping for you.

Chez said...

Found myself holding my breath while reading Debby. Now! A 'sigh' of relief xo

BUSH BABE said...

Do you not have a memory stick you could save files onto - from your researched snippets to the final document? You know - for the USB ports? Or is your old computer THAT old?

Not saying that would have saved your heart attack, but might have saved some typing time.

Good luck - nearly there!!
:-)
BB

Jayne said...

Oh, Lordy, I was there with you, racing ahead of each word hoping you'd recovered it...thank goodness you did!

Debby said...

Yes, BB, it's that old. If there was an easier way to do it, I'd have done it, for sure. Mrs. Spit, that old joke seemed far funnier this morning than last night at o'dark-thirty.

I still shiver a little bit. That was seven solid hours of work, just last night. I've been writing that report for a week. I've always been careful about saving stuff, but that computer simply shuts down when it detects no activity, and so I've gotten used to being interrupted, and then just walking back in and turning it on, and picking up where I left off. Valuable lesson learned. I honestly would have been up all night trying to redo it.

WhiteStone said...

I'm thankful that my old HP Deskjet 712C still works on my "relatively" new computer. We've had this printer since the dark ages it seems. And it still works so well!!!

Is there no way to transfer a doc from new to old by way of disk? Or think email to self! Attach as a file to email??

Karen said...

Oh, Debby, I am so glad that it all worked our for you! What a scare!

The only thing worse than that was when I was in college many years ago, and no one had computers back then (imagine that!) and all my nursing papers had to be typed on a good old typewriter! There were times when I thought I was finally finished typing the report after several LONG hours, only to find a mistake or two within the body of the paper, and the only way to correct the error was to retype EVERYTHING. Talk about heart failure and many, many tears. (I still have nightmares about that, believe it or not!)

Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

I am happy to see a little break coming for you. You should be proud of what you have been able to do with these classes. You can soon read a book or not read, it will be your choice for a little while.

Kelly said...

My heart is still racing just a bit.... I was SO afraid you were going to say you had lost all that work!!

You can reasonable start counting down in hours now until this is all over! What...48 hours??

Kelly said...

make that "reasonably". I hate looking back and seeing typos!!

PaintedPromise said...

i'm with Chez... and yeah, been there done that!!!

so glad it worked out!!!

Pencil Writer said...

You could write a good suspense novel! Had us all holding our breath!!! Happy Day! Your work was saved!!! Hallelujah! And Hallelujah again, just for good measure.

Now: Breathe and smile. Breathe and smile. ;}

Countdown clock reads . . . _______ (Fill in the blank.) Smile again.