Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Only Human

People have often asked how I do it. How I manage to post regularly, despite all the things going on in my life. The answer is easy. I get up early to do it. Each morning, I pad around in my bare feet and night gown making coffee. A morning without coffee would be, well, it would still be a morning, but infinitely worse. So I start my day with two cups of cappuccino from my own machine, and I bring my frothy cup into the living room, and I sit down at the computer. I take a few moments to click through the blogs, and then I quickly type up my post. It's part of my morning ritual. If I have to work or if things are especially hectic, I might not take the time to do it, but mostly I do take the time. As the coffee courses through my veins making me feel human, well, connecting with all of you, that makes me feel human too.

Speaking of humans, we're a strange lot, aren't we? We got broken up into groups to do a report. Before we began, the instructor made us pick a speaker. The research was done there in class, and the reports given at the end of the period. I was chosen to be the speaker. There were some problems with the printer, and we got one copy of the article we were working from. There is one girl from the group who is very explosive. Basically, you get one chance with her, and once she is angry, well, she stays angry, and runs her mouth. Time was running short, and I said, "Listen, I need to read that through that article if I'm going to speak on it," and she got mad, immediately, throwing the papers at me in disgust. It's weird. I work with her aunt. She's still quite angry at me because a customer requested a pot of flavored coffee on Saturday. We don't normally make the flavored coffees on weekends, but my understanding was that if a customer requests it, we make it. So I made it. The coworker got quite provoked. I explained to her why I made it. She refused to accept that. It happened again, a couple weeks later, and again, she took exception to the fact that I made the pot of coffee for the customer. What business is it of hers? She had no extra work to do, but she refused to let it drop, and stayed angry about it all shift. It turned out that I was right. We got our instructions: Just make the coffee. But each and every time I do, this woman silently seethes and takes long smoke breaks outside, leaving me to run the register inside, alone, no matter how busy it gets.

These women are never wrong, even if they are. They are sharp and prickly and angry people. I knew their father, their grandfather...one of the most jolly people you'd ever want to meet. Nice. Friendly. Involved with his customers. How do people get this way?

Well, my coffee's done, and I've got another test today. I'm tired. I'm really just finding it hard to keep plugging along. I don't want to think anymore, and I'm heartily tired of this class. I have an eight page paper to write, and I tried to do it last night. I couldn't. I studied for my test and went to bed early. Problem was, I lay there trying to write the report in my head, and didn't fall asleep until just before Tim got home. I look at the calendar. Seven more days and my torment will end. Just seven more days....

10 comments:

Twain12 said...

i wonder about people like that myself...living angry must be exhausting.
Seven more days...yayyy ♥

Caroline said...

I only blog daily because I make time for it while drinking my coffee. I often find myself thinking during the day about what I will blog about next...

I try to avoid angry people like that... Not worth the effort to deal with their anger.

Mary Paddock said...

There is a woman at our church who has been angry at Gary (and me by association) for nearly ten years for his "stealing her job". In brief, he didn't--not even close. She bad mouths us to literally everyone at every single turn (or did until one of the trustees threatened to fire her if she didn't stop). My mother joined the ranks of people this woman dislikes a few years ago and recently the church secretary earned the same honor. We've learned that this is how she is and, further more, her brother is the same way (and they haven't spoken to one another for years). What I want to know is how she finds the energy to stay like this? I don't know about you, but I find anger to be exhausting.

RedWifey said...

You can TOTALLY survive seven more days!! And then you won't ever have to take A&P again!! Yeah!

WhiteStone said...

Good morning, Debby! (said while enjoying my morning coffee)

Redwifey is correct...you can survive seven more days...and we're cheering you onward!

As for the angry crowds...let 'em be what they be. Can't change 'em. Unless they throw coffee on ya...then you might have to report them to the management! lol

Debby said...

Redwifey? WhiteStone? Um. No. I still have A and P II in front of me.

Whimper.

Bill of Wasilla said...

Here I am, trying to find the will and courage to make today's blog post. I went to Family this morning and I've already drank as much coffee as I dare.

Even though I have never met them, I know those folks. Somehow, they manage to pop up everywhere.

Guess I'll just put up my post now.

Kelly said...

When is A&P II??? Second summer session? Fall?

Debby said...

No. It is not offered at the second summer session. I would have (stupidly) signed up for it. Now that I have this course about under my belt, I need a break. I'm not sure that I would take A and P II next summer. I think that I need a slower pace to digest this information. This course was ba-rooo-tal.

Yeah, Bill. Mad people are everywhere, and their mad is always somebody else's fault.

Hal Johnson said...

Several years ago I was talking to one of our senior lead mechanics about one pilot who would throw a tantrum at the drop of a hat. I managed to get along with the guy, largely by steering the conversation toward his grandson. That would always lighten him up.

Anyway, the guy had come close to crossing a line with me. Close enough that I felt quite in touch with my redneck lineage. I was still miffed about the exchange, and mentioned that to our lead mechanic. He paused, and then said, "We grew up in the same town, y'know. I knew his father, and if you had ever met his father, that would explain a lot." Those words stuck with me.

About writing in the morning. That used to be my prime time for writing as well, at least during my off days. For years, I woke up at four in the morning without fail, and that was my time to write. For the last year, though, I usually haven't woken until the rest of the family is up and around. Thus, my already kinda meager writing output slowed all the more. I hope that doesn't mean that I'm getting abducted by aliens.