Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Dumb Bunny

Well, I am ashamed to say that I think that I bombed the lab practical. I've never done a lab practical before. Basically, you move from station to station. You have 1 minute at each station. A station might have nothing, in which case, you work on the portion of the test that is not related to IDing rat parts and pieces. I go down through the test and answer the questions that I know first of all. Then I go back to ponder on the questions that I might have to think about. This particular test asked you to draw a picture of a serous membrane, label the parts, discuss the purpose. It was easy. EEEEEEEasy. I skipped it because I needed to think about how I was going to draw this. People. I handed in the test without going back to it. At the end of the lab, I was packing up my books and notebook and stuff, and I caught a glimpse of my notes on serous membranes, and my jaw dropped. I realized what I had done, and I wanted to simply drop my head to the table and weep. But there was no time for that. I had to move on to the lecture portion, and the next test. That test, with all the chemistry and stuff, the one that I worried so much about, that test, I actually think that I may have done well on. I am afraid to say that out loud, however. After that grueling morning, I walked out to the car. Cara's car, actually. She was borrowing mine. Mine has automatic headlights. Hers doesn't. Yep. You guessed it. Battery was as dead as the rats on the lab table. At that point, I did cry. Just a little. And then I borrowed a phone to call Tim.

So yeah, I feel like I did okay on the second test, but then again, I'm kind of prone to being a complete and utter dumb ass, tripping over the details of virtually everything. Hard telling, until I actually see those grades with my very own eyes.

11 comments:

Chez said...

Debby, no matter the outcome, you know that you have put in the work. I am sure your hard word will be rewarded.

Mrs.Spit said...

Not dumb, tired.

Sorry Deb, that's a seriously sucky way to learn to check your test before you hand it in.

Debby said...

Yeah. I know. I just feel so stupid and I'm so ashamed of myself. The next test? Better believe that I went over it twice before handing it in. Test taking is easier when you are sitting in one place, I think.

Mary Paddock said...

Not dumb. Just dealing with lots of new. This is one of those classes that some (otherwise good) students have to take twice. My bet is, you won't.

Anonymous said...

Hi Debby. I agree with Mary. DavidM

jeanie said...

Deb - as you know, I am a maths boffin.

I once went into an exam super-confident. Blitzed it. Absolutely rolled it - which I expected, because I was 16, bulletproof and could teach the teacher about the mathematical concepts covered.

Finished an hour early - to be expected, because this little cream puff KNEW HER STUFF and was so sizzling mathematically.

(Can you see the fall being set up here)

Had time to recheck EVERY sum and was so right it hurt. Left early to rest on my laurels.

Turns out - I had missed checking one vital thing - the back of the exam paper. Yessirree, just to trip me up they had saved on paper and I had only done half of the exam.

Lucky for me there were just enough marks on the sides of the paper I had done to pass - just.

Shot me RIGHT down.

Hugs - its a lesson you don't need to relearn, I am sure the universe will get you over the line you need to cross.

Karen said...

Oh, Debby, sorry to hear about that particular question on your test, but if it helps, we've all done something like that. I guarantee that you won't let that happen again! You'll still do well in the class, I'm sure of it. :)

Jayne said...

I'm sure you will have passed, with or without the serous membrane.
And it's just a tiny itty bitty thing in the big scheme of thing but it will forever nudge you to double check everything which could save a life in the future ;)

Kelly said...

Two things that I always say to my kids in a situation like this:

1. One test grade doesn't the whole course make. Besides, you still might have done better than you thought.

2. At least now you know how the lab tests work and you know what to expect.

I still have confidence you're going to do fine overall.

Mikey said...

I think it will turn out better than you think. Although the serous stuff, that was an oops :) Don't be too hard on yourself. I bet you did a lot better than everyone else.

rhubarbwhine said...

It's all part of the learning procedure. Let it go, you will have another chance. Like all things, there is a lesson within the lesson. xxx