Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Brand New Book

A nice thing happened last week. There was a message on the answering machine that I had won a book at the library. There is a contest, and if I know the answer, I drop a slip in, but I've never won before, and I certainly haven't had time to stop into the library for a while. Reading for entertainment seems like a foreign concept. Anyways, the lady's recorded voice invited me to stop in and pick out my book. So today after school, I had to go get blood work done for the stinking tumor markers, etc. and so I stopped by the library to pick up the book. They had a whole rack of brand new books. I had my pick.

What a delightful moment! Do you know how long it has been since I got a brand new book for myself? Like...a couple years, maybe more. Really. I always buy my books used. If I get a new one, it's a gift from someone. That's nice, don't get me wrong, but this was a rack of brand new books...and I got to take my pick~!They were all novels. I picked them up one at a time, and finally settled on Pat Conroy's 'South of Broad'. I carried it out of the library, and to my car. I flipped through the pristine pages, unturned by human hands. I looked at the words yet unread, and it was such a little anticipatory thrill. I can't read that book now. I've got an Anatomy and Physiology text and matching lab manual that needs to be read first, but when I got home, I lugged my heavy back pack into the house, and I carried that book in my hands. I set it down carefully on my bedside table. After the first of July, I will be able to read it. I know that it probably sounds ridiculous, but I cannot tell you how much I'm looking forward to that.

23 more days....

12 comments:

Bill of Wasilla said...

Congratulations! I expect a book report now.

Mrs.Spit said...

I love Pat Conroy. Enjoy!

Chez said...

23 days Debby and, in anticipation, you have earned your reward.
You have a wonderful following and I sense the excitement as we follow your journey.
Congratulations on your win; you deserve it.
All the best xo

Jayne said...

Congrats !
I can smell the new-book smell from here...and that plastic they wrap the book covers in ;)

rhubarbwhine said...

Congrats. The beginning of a wonderful year just around the bend :)

Debby said...

Bill! You certainly know how to rain on a parade. Nope. No book report. Once this class is over, I'm done reading and writing. Well. I'll read, and I'll write, but they'll be completely independent of each other. Jayne, funny thing is, Dylan took possession of his brand new red Jeep Wrangler yesterday, and called to share his excitement about it all. I said, "Well, I got a new book..." and he said, "Yeah, but MOM! Does it have a new book smell? My Jeep does." I told him I imagined that my book did have a new book smell, but I had not buried my face in it yet. Perhaps I'll have to do just that. Chez, you are always a day brightener for me. Mrs. Spit, wanna borrow an almost new book when I'm done? :^D

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

Congratulations on winning the contest!

Karen said...

That's great, Debby. What a nice thing to look forward to!

Kelly said...

Congratulation on winning!! Books are one of my favorite things.

That will be a nice reward at the end of your class.

jeanie said...

Oh new book feel! (and yes, new book smell!!)

Enjoy the anticipation - and the diving into it when you are free.

Pencil Writer said...

What fun! Winning, and a brand new book, too! The anticipation--having to wait until July, will probably only heighten the thrill of getting your nose in to smell the "new book" smell. Congrats, Debby.

Hope all that technical reading/studying will improve as you go! Then, have fun with your new book!

Bob said...

You will LOVE South of Broad. Pat Conroy is one of the great storytellers.