Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Booyah!

Well, damn. I studied hard this weekend for those two exams on Monday. I literally studied for hours. Hours on Thursday night. Hours on Friday morning. Hours on Saturday morning. I even skipped church to study for another few hours before work. The one thing that I will own up to is when I got home from work, my intention was to study another few hours. I couldn't. I was tired, and discouraged, and I just went to bed. My intentions were to get up early and hit it hard, but I didn't do that either. I just was so sick of the whole thing, I couldn't bear to look at the stuff yet again. I trundled off to class, and I was feeling pretty scared. I kept trying to tell myself that really, it was all there in my head. I just had to stay calm and reason it out, answer carefully. I had the lab test first. I thought it went well. I headed into the lecture hall feeling cautiously optimistic about the 6 chapter test. I took the whole hour on it. It was hard, but I reasoned it out as best I could. When I left, my cautious optimism was still intact.

This morning, in lab, we got our quizzes back. I got an 78%. A lousy stinking C! This was very discouraging to me, but I did not have time to mourn about it. We took another quiz, and then dissected a sheep heart and began work on a fetal pig. They are so cute. What a terrible thing to think that they never had a chance to even take their first breath. Baby pigs are just adorable anyway. Of course, they are a lot more adorable when they are breathing and squealing and running around than they are laying in a lab dissection tray. Take my word for it. The girl I was working with said, "You know, this is one of those things that I would never choose to do, dissect a fetal pig." I agreed. "I have had fun before, but I noticed that every time I was having fun, there were no fetal pigs around. Coincidence? I don't think so." But we stoically went through the steps, and cleaned up, and I wandered down to the lecture hall realizing that somewhere I'd lost my cautious optimism some darn place. I was feeling pretty low.

The instructor for lecture wrote the scores on the board. The average was like 66 or something. She said that two people had gotten As. Two people had gotten Bs. The rests were Cs or under. My heart just sank. I had no hope at all. She handed back the tests, and I could barely bring myself to flip it over and look at it. I should have made myself study the night before. I should have gotten up early that morning. I flipped the page over in a hopeless way and discovered that I'd gotten an 89. Not only did I get one of the two Bs...I was one point away from getting a coveted A.

You know, I hardly ever get a chance to say this. I've already texted Kelly to say it. Now I'm going to say it here. BOOOOOOOO-YAH!

*does little happy dance*

15 comments:

Ash said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ash said...

Congratulations, Debby :)

WhiteStone said...

HoooRahhhhh!

Lydia said...

You go, baby!

Mary Paddock said...

Wow! Congrats Deb!

Scotty said...

Good for you, Debby - congrats!

jeanie said...

Woo hoo woman!!!! Well done!!! Magic indeed - and a whole lot of study.

Pencil Writer said...

Congrats!!! No more self doubt, okay? Hard work and native intelligence . . . win every time. Right? *Smiles* Keep it up!

Jayne said...

WOOOHOOOOOO!
Told ya you'd blitz it, girl :D

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Great news. I never had any doubt and you deserve it. Barb

Bill of Wasilla said...

Man, you can spend all that time studying, dismantle a fetal pig, take all those tests and still you find time to blog!

I am impressed.

RedWifey said...

Nicely done, Deb!!

Kelly said...

Booyah!!!!

Lori said...

Congratulations!! Now do you have a chance to relax and catch your breath before the next big test? Hope so! I can't imagine going back to school at my age. I'm sure I would stress out and do terribly.

Bob said...

YEA! And you're almost there!