Saturday, June 12, 2010

Crux

This doctor visit, I had questions. I made my little list. I had my blood work for the appointment. I received a call the day before the appointment asking me to be there 15 minutes early. I reported there at 12:45. At 1:30, Tim was nodding off as we sat in the little room. I walked out to the desk and explained that I had to go to work. The nurse assured that me the Dr. had 'just gotten there', but I also knew that there was another couple waiting to be seen. There was no point in staying. Even if she had only spent ten minutes with them, I still would have had to leave because I would be late for work.

So I left. I have no idea what happens next.

You know, I was told that I was to be conscientious about keeping appointments for yearly physicals, since tamoxifen is linked to endometrial cancer. So I'm careful. I made my appointment. My family doctor has become part of a larger medical group. At the time that I made the appointment, I was told that he would be gone for a great deal of the month. The receptionist mused, "I imagine that you want your appointment with him..." and I said, "Well, no, actually. I really have liked the last two physicians assistants that he had. They both knew their stuff. So, yeah. I'm comfortable with the new physicians assistant." The appointment was made. The day before the appointment, I received a call telling me that the physician's assistant was not coming to my doctor's office, and that I should report to ----------'s offices for my appointment. Okay. The morning of the appointment, I received yet another call. The physician's assistant was now not coming in at all, and the appointment was canceled. I was advised to make another appointment.

These are small things. Really. I know. But whatever happened to plain old consideration? I remember when, if an appointment was canceled, you were called, received an apology, an explanation, and a new appointment was made, all in the same call. And the thing is, I'm not old. Well. Not that old.

7 comments:

Caroline said...

Maybe its time to find a new doctor? I can't believe all the cancellations and delays. Just plain rude - no consideration.

Bob said...

This makes my blood boil. You should send the office an invoice, terms 30 days, billing them for the time you sat there. Because they sent a clear message to you that your time is not worth anything to them. NO EXCUSE FOR THIS!

Mrs.Spit said...

I'm with Bob. I'm on time for my appointments. I expect the same, or at least an apology.

Bill of Wasilla said...

That's how doctors are - always have been, always will be. They put a premium on their time and consider your time to be of no consequence. We need them so badly that we pretty much take it - and then they are often wrong.

That said, I must say that my current doctor, for whom I almost always wind up waiting for HOURS to see, is a very concerned lady who takes her time and really talks to her patients and does all she can to help and shows no arrogance or aloofness as do so many, so, in her case, I don't hold it against her.

Scotty said...

Well, I guess I must have it pretty good over here, then; the longest I've had to wait is about 15 minutes over my scheduled time, and the doctor apologised for that.

Kelly said...

No, I don't think those are small things. They're pretty important and there's no excuse for how you've been treated!

quid said...

Crummy health care story. There are so many. I am glad you left for work, despite your need to know. Damn, there has got to be a better way!

quid