Thursday, May 13, 2010

Right Where I Belong

I got the letter yesterday. I've been officially accepted into the Occupational Therapy Program.

I got the call today. I'm proceeding on to the next step for a very nice scholarship.

I finished two classes today. I think that I did well on the tests.

I have 36 hours of work next week. The extra money will be nice.

I have one more class and I have a whole weekend to study for that math final.

Today, I sat in the college dining room after my psychology test. It was an awesome feeling to be done with that class, and to know that I'd done well in it. I celebrated with a coffee and an everything bagel, and I listened to some maintenance men talking. They talked about a program that they watched on the History Channel. They talked about so-called 'green buildings'. One of the fellows talked about an algebra class he had taken. They were older fellows, but they greeted students cheerfully, comfortably, no evidence of 'generation gap' at all. It just kind of tickled me. Some places, maintenance men can be pretty rough guys. These guys were not.

I sat there in the college dining room today, and I felt unburdened and I felt free. I felt competent and intelligent. I ate my bagel and I drank my coffee, and studied my careful notes for the test in my next class. I listened to a student playing a guitar, and the talk swirling around me, and I felt as if I were right where I belonged. The fact is simple: left to my own devices, I never would have dreamed that I could (or should) go back to school. I cannot help but be moved at the thought that I am only here because people around me recognized a potential in me that I could not see in myself. I think of Tim. I think of my teachers. I think of other students. I think of all the friends that I've got cheering me on and I feel really truly honest-to-goodnessly blessed.

You all ever get the feeling? Where were you?

18 comments:

Kelly said...

Congratulations, Debby, on the confirmation for the OT program.

You are doing great and I'm so proud of you!!

A Novel Woman said...

I'm just so HAPPY for you right now! Truly. You deserve every success because you've worked so hard for it. Good on ya.

And yes, I have felt that way, when people around me, good friends, true friends, encouraged me to write and submit my work. Sometimes others see something we can't. It's good to surround yourself with such people.

Caroline said...

Congratulations!

Bill of Wasilla said...

I'm right here, Debby - right where I'm supposed to be. Just as I always am, wherever I am.

Glad you are, too.

Brianna said...

WOOT! Go Mom! So proud of you, and yes, I know that feeling, I happen to have it right now!

Debby said...

A mom can ask no finer gift than that for her children, Brianna. I'm glad for you.

BUSH BABE said...

Oh... I have tears in my eyes. And those last two comments didn't help... it IS a great feeling. It comes and goes for me - like for most people, I suspect.

Sometimes (I reckon) life is a bit like walking a tightrope, and you wonder if the next hesitant step is going to set you into freefall. And then, with a steading hand or two, you find that confidence you need to move forward, and you look up yourself striding up a wide open highway instead...

(Who needs Psychology 101 when you have me? heh).
:-)
BB

WhiteStone said...

Multitudinous times. But one of those times, which I recognize every time it happens, is when I am traveling down a highway on a moonlit night with hours of driving before me. The moon streams in the car and I think of all the countless people who have walked the land I am driving through, and I feel blessed to be one of the "travelers".

Hal Johnson said...

Good for you, Debby!

Mary Paddock said...

Good job, Debby.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What great news Deb. I am so happy for you. If anyone deserves this sort of success you do. Enjoy the moment for as long as possible. Hugs Barb

deardarl said...

Oh Congratulations! I am so happy for you.
XA

Bob said...

Great, Debby! Congrats and, again, thanks for taking us all along on the ride. It's been perilous at times -- and will continue to be -- but you are wise to pause and celebrate, if just with a bagel and coffee. Great things are ahead.

Again -- good to see Hal! Miss him! (and Michael too)

Deb C. said...

When I started reading your blog, my impression of you was that you were a very intelligent gal who'd had some rough times and didn't seem to realize how wonderful she was. Then you got ill and I have to say that I thought of deleting your blog from my list because my main criterion for blog reading is to have a laugh. I didn't stop reading and was so impressed with the way that you handled it. I don't know you, but I was so excited to hear you were going to college and amazed at how you balanced everything. Congratulations on being accepted to the OT program! I look forward to following your journey.

Lydia said...

I am so glad that you got into the program! They knew they had a gem in you and needed to get you into their flock.

I often feel like I'm where I belong when I'm working and at my church. Love both.

Karen said...

Way to go! SO happy for you!

quid said...

What a perfect career for you! This is wonderful.

quid

Laura Jane said...

WOOT indeed!!!!!

Oh Deb, I'm beyond thrilled for you, it is entirely RIGHT that this success should come your way.

It is an absolute pleasure to see you blossom and grow in this venture, well done.

I KNOW the feeling of things being entirely right. I feel it daily as a midwife, I cried with joy when I was accepted as a student midwife, and I still do now when I realise that my outside matches my inside. It is my pleasure and pride to work as a midwife every day.