Sunday, May 30, 2010

Quiet

Tim has set his Camaro in the front yard with a 'For Sale' sign. He says that he won't be sorry to see it sell, but I wonder. His first car was a Camaro, and he's almost always had one. When we married he had a Super Sport and a Z28. He sold the Super Sport, but I thought that he'd always have the Z. He had big plans for that car.

I watched him with it tonight, the hood up in the yard, listening to the engine, tinkering, stopping to rev the engine, and I cannot help but feel sad. I drove that car once. I stepped on the gas and the thing threw gravel everywhere as Tim laughed and said, "Listen to those horses bark..." I got out of the car and I said, "I will never drive that car again. Mama better stick to the Taurus." And I never did drive it again. Neither did Tim, not much. He's a family man, a worker. He didn't seem to mind, but I saw that dreamy look he'd get when he heard the rumble of a muscle car, and I'd think, "Some day, when things are easier, he'll be anxious to have a car like that again." Yet now the Camaro sits for sale in the front yard. I realize that he is putting everything on the line to get his wife through college. I'm humbled by that more than words can say. I cannot fail.

With such a husband, I cannot fail.

8 comments:

jeanie said...

Awwww - nothing says I love you more than a car guy selling his car...

Cheryl Radford said...

Debby, there are so many ways of saying 'Ilove you' and Tim's expression of his love for you brings a tear to my eye.
I pray that the Camaro brings an above agerage price.

BUSH BABE said...

I have something in my eye... scuse me.

Lydia said...

I am so glad that you have each other. *sniff* Thanks for sharing. Life and love are full of sacrifice and from that come the greatest rewards.

Kelly said...

Awww. Y'all are so good to each other.

Mikey said...

Man, that's a tough one. What a good guy :)

I love Camaros and have many a fond memory of times that cannot be publicly shared, lol.

You guys are the kind of people that survive no matter what, because you have each other.

quid said...

Such a heartfelt post.

Nevertheless, it's a car. You're a wonderful woman. No contest.

quid

Alli said...

I learned how to drive a standard on my late ex hubby's Z28. Young newly married he was in the army away frequently If I wanted to go anywhere I either drive or walk..I chose to drive. loved that car. He sold it to buy a bigger "family car" But he did save the motorcycle lol

Alli xx