Saturday, May 15, 2010

Keeping our Chins Up.

Turns out that Tim might not be called back to work after all. He won the bid, and it was posted that he was coming back. He was told to take the drug test, which he did...and then, nothing. He has been calling Human Resources for several days now, but has received no call back. He finally called the guy in charge of the department. Turns out that there is some confusion about who's got the job. We have no idea what is going on, and I have to tell you, this news is discouraging for both of us. We should know something by the end of the week.

Tim's problem is that he's a very good machinist. There are not a lot of machining jobs left. He would be traveling over an hour to get to work for this particular job, and he has been laid off from the place twice already. It is what it is. He had hoped to get some sort of maintenance job. He's done all the work on our apartments, and is very good, electrical, plumbing, general home construction, all of it, really. However, when he applies for these sorts of jobs, the interviewers say, "Well, as soon as you get a machining job, you'll be leaving us." Actually, he wouldn't. He wants a job close to home, and something steady. Machining? Not all that steady. He's been laid off probably a dozen times since we've been married (12 years next week). He tries to explain to them that he is trying to change fields, but so far has not managed to convince them. A good machining job pays very well, although any more, they are scarcer than hen's teeth, so every prospective employer seems to automatically believe that Tim would follow the big bucks. Not so much. At this point, we're just wanting a secure job with benefits.

It's a time for prayers, but really, sometimes it's hard to keep my chin up. I keep telling myself that in a couple years, I'll be able to get a decent job, and I'll be able to provide those benefits. Once I've got a decent job, Tim can quit working for someone else and be his own boss, working on apartments. When I have a decent job, we'll probably see a lot more of each other than than we have for our entire marriage. We've almost always worked more than one job each, and have always coming and going, usually on different shifts. 'Just two more years', I keep telling myself, and I'll be able to get a decent job.

It seems like such a looooooooong time away.

9 comments:

Twain12 said...

i'm sorry to hear this...my Dad was a machinist (in Germany ) and he had the same problems there. He ended up going back to school to become a nurse. I wish you good luck !

WhiteStone said...

My heart goes out to the two of you in this job struggle. Hugs! And prayers!

Brianna said...

It may seem like it's a long way off, but it will fly by, I promise! It'll all come out alright, just keep your heads up, both of you! :)

BUSH BABE said...

Gosh - fingers crossed they get it right for Tim...
:-)
BB

RedWifey said...

Sending hugs my friend! Sometimes this being an adult thing SUCKS!! But you guys can manage...I totally have faith in you.

Lydia said...

Prayers for you and Tim -- I know something will work out in the end, but Holy Moses, it is not fun going through it.

Blessings to you both!

PaintedPromise said...

what they said... you are both in my prayers Deb!

Mikey said...

Sending hugs your way too. It's a tough time for everyone all around. We'll keep you in our prayers and just do like you do, keep your chin up.

Kelly said...

I trust that it's all gonna work out.

Hope you do well on that math final tomorrow night!!