Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Gloomy Day

Tim did not get the job. The human resource person should not have posted the job. Tim was a bit shocked to suddenly find out he had a job. After such a long stretch, we were seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, and glad for it. To find out that he doesn't have a job after all was a heart breaker.

Tim is a very quiet person, but what I have always loved about him is his optimism. He can always find the silver lining in any dark time. I got home from work today to see him slumped in a chair at the dining room table. "I don't have a job," he said, flatly. "I'm sorry," I said. The silence stretched. I put lunch on the table, and said, "Listen, Tim, it will work out. It always does. God has plans to prosper, not harm us." Silence. "Really. It will be okay." No response. "Tim? Really, do you honestly think that you'll never work again?" He looked at me. "I'm starting to wonder..." "Listen, I'm trying to be encouraging here. It will be okay. What is the worst thing that is going to happen? We've always dealt with hard times before, and we've come out of it okay."

He ate and left the house quietly.

12 comments:

Mrs.Spit said...

Oh no, I'm so sorry.

Mary Paddock said...

I am very sorry. It's hard on a man when he doesn't feel like he's holding up his end, even when he's doing his best.

A Novel Woman said...

Ah, I'm sorry to hear that especially after your good news. Life is always handing us the sweet and the sour together, no? I wish I could offer something more helpful other than this too shall pass.

Twain12 said...

i'm very sorry too

BUSH BABE said...

Sh*t... hugs.
Me

Lorelei said...

Message for Tim:

Timothy M. Hornburg, Jr. ......
Take PRIDE in how far you have come,
Have FAITH in how far you will go.
Believe in YOURSELF!!

Debby said...

Lorelei! Do you know us? Get back here...you've got some 'splaining to do. Send me an e-mail. I'm ever so curious.

Anonymous said...

Message for Tim, PLEASE believe that God has something better for you. We know He does. We're praying for you. Bob and Judy

Kelly said...

I'm sorry. I know there's not much more I can say.

I'm praying.

jeanie said...

Hey there Deb and Tim

I come from a place of knowing EXACTLY where you are.

Part of me not posting is indeed the new baby stuff - and a lot of it is V's (and my own) work situation and working through a tradie realising that he may never work in his chosen field again.

As a wife, it is a heavy load to carry - our natural urge is to be optimistic and boost, but sometimes we have to balance what is depression, what is grief, when is the moment to try to cheer someone up or along and when is the moment for silence.

Pencil Writer said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Tim. God does indeed have a plan for us.

We've got some uphill battles to deal with, too. It seems senseless on so many levels, but . . . God is mindful of each of us and will provide a way for us to make it through to the other side. Hopefully, we'll be the wiser, kinder, more Christ-like for it in the end.

Bob said...

Tim is so blessed to have you in his life. Keep encouraging. I'll keep praying.