Friday, May 21, 2010

Friday Weigh In

Well, I dropped over that one pound mark. I'm back down to having lost 17 pounds again. I'm glad to be able to say that. I wore some capris and a top that I hadn't worn since last summer, and I could tell. The top was loose and comfortable.

I went down town yesterday. I was headed to a writer's seminar. I received an invitation in the mail some time ago. It was nice, with wine and crackers and cheese and strawberries and wonderful little desserts which I spent the evening trying to avoid. It was nice to sit and listen to an author talk about writing. A large portion of the talk covered writing the truth, but Reg Darling took pains to say that the truth was your perspective. He also talked about how a complete lie can be told telling nothing but the truth. I thought of Salman Rushdie's books and how the truth can be told using nothing but fictions, and silently agreed.

It was nice to sit there and talk about writing like it was real. I don't know how to say it better than that. It was nice to sit with people listening to the story of another respectfully. I listen to the stories of others, and I became part of their story, even as they became a part of my own, and the story swirled easily around us, and between us, and from us, gathering us all up in its threads. When it was done, my friend and I walked back to her house in the evening light, the words flowing easily and comfortably between us, the common threads in our own stories weaving us together, forming a friendship.

8 comments:

BUSH BABE said...

Ah yes... words used well. Woven. Weaving us all together. *sighs*
:-)
BB

WhiteStone said...

Funny. "the common threads weaving us together". Somehow in my mind I saw threads, not just the warp and the weft, but threads flowing in every which direction, inter-weaving with other threads flowing in every which direction, not just left and right and up and down, but everywhere, harmoniously, beautifully. What a lovely cloth we make.

Debby said...

That's how I saw it too, WhiteStone. just whispers of threads waiting to be caught up by other threads, taken up by other stories, by other people. When we let lose of our own threads, we have no idea how they will be picked up, how they will be incorporated elsewhere, and that's the most exciting part of it all. But it starts with the willingness to tell your own story, which is quite different from letting others tell their version of your story. We are required to tell our own story. Share ourselves. Talk with others. Listen to their stories. And some people even think to write some of this down...

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Debby Hope you have a nice day. Debbie L

Bob said...

Debby, don't know if you have heard of Donald Miller, an unconventional Christian writer who became famous through his book Blue Like Jazz a few years ago. His latest, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years, is about just what you have said here, about life being a story. Your local library should have it and I highly recommend it. You'll laugh until you cry, then you'll just cry.

Bob said...

Oh -- congrats on the weight loss.

Kelly said...

Wish I could say I'd lost 17 pounds. I won't begrudge you, though. Congratulations!!

Paula said...

Not sure what to congratulate you on ... the As or the weight loss!! Brill news ... and wine and cheese to celebrate ... a girl after my own heart!!

P xox