Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Wordl Waits

Over at Bill's, he posted a picture of his son, Caleb looking out the window. Bill wondered what he was looking at, just staring out the window like he was. I can't be sure, because I don't know Caleb, but if it were one of mine, it would be that daydream-y itchy feet sort of a thing going on. I was working on the computer when I received an instant message from Cara. I responded with "So, what are you doing?" and she answered that she was pricing train fares. "To where?" I asked, and she began to list places. I made a joking comment and received the reply. "There's a whole wide wordl out there, and I'm stuck here." I could almost hear the wail. In her agitation, she misspelled world, and I messaged back using the same spelling: "Be patient. The whole wide wordl will wait, just as its waited right along." And she wailed (in brief blasts of instant messaging) her doubts that while the wordl would wait, she was not sure that she could wait to see the wordl. She spoke in complete confidence that I could not possibly understand her impatience. That made me LOL, as they say. I messaged back. "Of course, I understand. I had the same itchy feet when I was young. Sometimes, I still do." I pointed out the the wordl had waited on me. The wordl would be waiting for her. I could have told her about the times that I climbed to the top of the powerline and daydreamed off, wondering what lay beyond the next mountain, and the next, and the next, and the next. Wishing that I could see. Or the times that I flipped through the National Geographic reading about faraway places, and hungering to see them. Or even listening to distant crackly radio stations in the dark, wondering about other people who listened to those stations without static, about the people who were so close that they could hear them clearly. What was it like to live in a big city? And I'd be daydreaming. Now I am old. I have been other places. I have lived in big cities. Now I live in the woods, and I am content. I still have places that I want to see. Things that I want to do. I'm not impatient though. I know that those things will come in their own good time. I know that the wordl will wait. It was a nice conversation, and it brought back pleasant rememberings.

So, while I can't be sure, Bill, you might just want to ask Caleb what he's thinking. It might open the door to a fine and pleasant conversation.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

National Geographic is a great way to see the world!

I'm content in the woods, too. (but I wouldn't have said that 30 years ago!)

WhiteStone said...

I love seeing the wordl, too, but mostly enjoy it via media, rather than in person. I love it that our wordl is so beautiful, so complex, so stupendous. I hate it that the people of this wordl keep trying to kill each other off. It dismays and confounds and troubles me. I would say, "What is wrong with us?" but I already know the answer to that question so I will not ask.

I think all of blogdom will someday spell "world" in a new way. lol

BUSH BABE said...

This part of the wordl is waiting for you... oh, so patiently Deb!
:-)
BB

BUSH BABE said...

PS Thanks for updatin' me in the sidebar...

Bill said...

I did ask Caleb and he could not remember for sure. He figured he was probably thinking about golf, as I speculated, or about coffee, which I would not have thought.