Friday, April 16, 2010

Friday Weigh In

Surprise! I've lost three pounds this week. I guess grief and worry is a good thing if you're watching your weight. Thanks but no thanks. In thinking about it, though, I'd rather walk. Anyways, this bring my total weight loss for the year to 17 pounds. Boy. Did I have to scrounge around to find that. I didn't post the total lost last week (because there was only ounces lost, not pounds). I didn't post at all the week prior. (How did I forget? I've never forgotten before.) Finally, three weeks back, I found it. Man. I write a lot of nothing. Why do you folks keep coming back here? Honestly. Have you no sense?

That young mother from the cancer center? A pastor's wife e-mailed me. She thought she knew her. Bless her heart, she called up the woman and said, "Did you meet a woman at the cancer center..." Her name is Kathy. Turns out she's been unable to stop thinking about me. She gave me her address. Her phone numbers, both at work, and at home. Judy, my friend, e-mailed this information to me and closed with "Do you see God at work in any of this?" Yes. Yes, Judy, I can. Just as He led us to meet. Just as he led new Mary to call all those months ago, because she had read a column. Just as he led old Mary and I to be roaming the halls of Youngsville High School back in 1969, both of us lost and looking for the same classroom. Thank you, Judy. And just as soon as I get my self over my dog, as soon as I take a deep breath and (again) turn my kids over to God, well, I'll give Kathy a call. She does not need an emotional sap calling her out of the blue.

I got another e-mail. A doctor from our small hospital stopped the nice mammogram lady, Cheryl, in the hall and told her about my blog. I've met Cheryl three times now. She really is a lovely person, perfect for the job that she does. It's an interesting point that I'm at. I just don't want to be surprised by things. I want to know. I want to know what other people hear. I don't want candy coating. I want numbers. I want to know what I can do. I don't want to research on the internet. I don't want to be surprised by what I'm reading. I want to talk about 'this is what I'm doing', and I want to talk about what others are doing to keep themselves happy and (hopefully) healthy. I am not one to wait and see. I guess when it's all said and done, I need to know that I've done everything, no matter how small, to fight my best fight. I am losing weight. I am exercising. I am eating broccoli until it comes out of my ears. Is there something else? What do you hear? What else can I do? What do you do? The Cancer Center could provide a plan, or at least give us the information we need to create our own plan. Cancer changes a person's life. Worry that cancer will return is normal. When your fears are dismissed, you feel small and foolish. Whiny, even.

So now I worry about whether or not people are mad at me at our little hospital. It was not meant as criticism. It would be nice if, for instance, people at the hospital said, "Well, this is something that we could do better at..." We shall see, I suppose. We shall see.

9 comments:

Reb said...

Please don't worry about the doctors, nurses and tech's feelings! I have been a nurse for (!)28 years . We need to know what we do right, and more importantly WHAT WE DO WRONG! Where can we improve? What are we missing? When you do the same things day after day, when you treat the same type of patient time after time, you can without even realizing it ,skip and skimp. If we had said something the same way for years, we may not even hear ourselves saying it anymore. Time moves on and we may need to be reminded to keep up :) I think all medical personnel try very hard to keep up on the treatment changes, but we may not be as good about keeping up with the emotional end of our jobs. We can forget that WE may have seen this 1,000's of times, BUT IT'S THE FIRST TIME FOR THE PATIENT! If you need more from them, let them know. Don't be afraid to be a squeaky wheel. Wake them up a tad. Change never happens without a reason :)
I'm so worried that this is not coming out right :( I just want you to feel comfortable and SAFE in asking your care providers for MORE. More of whatever it is that YOU need. Medicine is never a "one size fits all" kind of deal :)
Reb

A Novel Woman said...

Good nurses and doctors and even technicians should welcome questions. However, these days not only are hospitals and clinics understaffed and overworked, they are dealing with stuff that is old hat to them, and it's all new to you, the patient. That doesn't excuse it, but it does explain it sometimes. But bottom line, you have a right and the duty to ask questions that will help you to stay healthy. Would you do it for your husband if he was the one who was sick? Would you do it for your kids? Well, by asking the questions for YOU, you are doing it for THEM. Think of it that way.

Also, and I wish I was there to grab you by the shoulders and give you a good shake. Will you please stop caring what other people think? And I say that with love and respect. Say what you mean, and mean what you say. Anyone who reads your blog regularly can see you speak from the heart, with intelligence and fairness and passion. Not everyone will agree with you. Some people will take things out of context because that's what they do all the time. So what?

Also, congratulations on your weight loss! That's huge at this point in our lives, because fat is really difficult to lose with our hormones (or lack thereof) going haywire. So, good on ya!

Lastly, you asked if there was anything else you could be doing. According to my doctor, a wellness expert, and my husband, another wellness expert, they recommend large daily doses of Vitamin D for ALL their patients, but particularly for those fighting cancer. The recommended 400IU is not enough. They both recommended I take 2,000IU a day for regular folks. You'll have to ask your doctor about amounts when you're fighting cancer.

Just google "vitamin D and cancer" and you'll see.

In June, U.S. researchers will announce the first direct link between cancer prevention and the sunshine vitamin. Their results are nothing short of astounding.

A four-year clinical trial involving 1,200 women found those taking the vitamin had about a 60-per-cent reduction in cancer incidence, compared with those who didn't take it, a drop so large — twice the impact on cancer attributed to smoking — it almost looks like a typographical error.

A Novel Woman said...

Sorry. That was one mofo of a comment.

I probably shouldn't say mofo.

Oh no, I did it again.

steviewren said...

Cheering and whistling over here for your weight loss! I know that feels good.

My sympathy and hugs in regards to the loss of your dog and the fact that you are uneasy over your daughter and SIL's move.

Happy that you've located the young mother. Obviously you both have things to say to one another.

Please don't worry over much about what people think. You don't come across as hateful, rude, or any other negative thing. You just say how you feel about the kind of treatment you want to receive. That is completely reasonable.

Give yourself a big pat on the back! You are one fantastic person.

BUSH BABE said...

What ANW said... you have a wonderful forum here for sorting through the flotsam and jetsam of internet 'info'. I think you say what most people feel - and if that should upset someone, then perhaps they needed upsetting, in order to review and add to their reportoire of skills. Just sayin'..

Hugs again for your grief.
BB

Ro said...

(((hugs)))
Yep, ANW said it best, you rock.
Re the Vit D and cancer - my mum was advised, back in 1990, by her oncologist to sit in the sun for 10-20mins every day but the radiologist who took over her care told her to avoid any sun.
The findings have proven what the oncologist suggested, Vit D is the most over-looked vitamin with it's effects vastly misunderstood and undervalued; it's lack has been linked to the obesity and diabetes epidemic, increase in some mental illnesses, etc.

Lori said...

That's wonderful that you can get in touch now with Kathy. I started crying a bit when I read that she'd been thinking of you too.

Bill of Wasilla said...

Debby... it seems now that hardly a week goes by without me learning that someone whom I am acquainted with has come down with cancer. I get worried that I've got cancer, or if I don't, I soon will. In the midst of all these cancers, I see you as a hopeful sign. And Whitestone, too.

I am sorry that you have to deal with such trials in the medical establishment, but am glad you are losing weight.

Anyway... I hope I'm glad.

Funny about the broccoli - one of the symptoms that I have that makes me paranoid about cancer is something that can be aggravated by broccoli. I eat it, anyway, but not as often as I would like.

quid said...

Weight loss = good. All the worry and weary of this week for you = bad. You need a funny movie. Never stop caring, Debby...it's what makes you who you are.

quid